How much rough paper will the candidates be allowed?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Red

How much rough paper will the candidates be allowed?

Post by Red »

My DS has been told that he will have a piece of rough paper the size of a post card. Is this true or one of those stories sent to try us?

Many thanks

Red
muminTewkes

Re: How much rough paper will the candidates be allowed?

Post by muminTewkes »

Apparently DS1(took test last year) had a sheet of A5(exercise book size?) but more was available if needed.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Ds1 had 2 sheets of almost blank paper that he could have used :roll: I gave up trying to get him to make notes right after the tests were done :lol:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Red

Post by Red »

Many thanks for the up-to-date information. It has to be in black and white and not from mum for DS to believe it!

Red
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

On the V.R. thread someone asked if they can write on the question papers. Does anyone know if this is allowed? Thanks. Are they allowed to take their own rough paper in addition to that given out? Thanks
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Definitely no writing on the question paper,that's what the rough paper is for!
Candidates are not allowed to take in their own paper

Regards,
GM
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Ok thanks (I think!). I'll have to wean her off doing it, as I had thought it was OK. Not sure why it would be a problem unless they recycle the papers. I understand that rules and rules and there must be a reason. I think she'll be asking for quite a few sheets of rough paper though. Cheers.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Not sure why it would be a problem unless they recycle the papers.
Which is exactly what happens, at least with the first paper.

The advice has always been 'do not write on the question papers' - at least here in Gloucestershire. Other areas have different types of papers.

Some children do write on the paper and it has been known for them to be told to rub it out - which wastes their time. Occassionally there are previous markings on the paper which may be right or wrong - very off-putting.
Capers
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

capers123 wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:Not sure why it would be a problem unless they recycle the papers.

The advice has always been 'do not write on the question papers' - at least here in Gloucestershire. Other areas have different types of papers.

Some children do write on the paper and it has been known for them to be told to rub it out - which wastes their time. Occassionally there are previous markings on the paper which may be right or wrong - very off-putting.

Oh Gawd. I'm all for recycling (and recycle practically everything possible) but exam papers?!! Couldn't we have a whip 'round or fund our own :) !!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:
capers123 wrote:
Oh Gawd. I'm all for recycling (and recycle practically everything possible) but exam papers?!! Couldn't we have a whip 'round or fund our own :) !!
It's only the first paper, and they are never taken out of the exam room, so are not circulating amongst tutors. The second paper is always new.
Capers