Does it matter where they sit the test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bemily

Does it matter where they sit the test?

Post by Bemily »

Does it affect in any way their chances of getting into one of the other schools?
allovernow

Re: Does it matter where they sit the test?

Post by allovernow »

No - you can sit the test at the location most convenient for you. If you've ticked various schools, then the results are shared across all of them.

Of course, some places are more crowded on the day than others. Pates tends to be very busy (from personal experience), not sure about the others...
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Ds1 sat at Marling(our nearest and the school we were hoping for), he is now loving life at Pate's. Ds2 will also sit at Marling next year, we haven't looked at any schools with him yet though and I think that we have a lot to consider in order to find the right enviroment for him. Where you sit the test makes no difference.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

As others said-no,no difference.
DS1 sat at STRS(is now at Pates)as tbh I was looking for anything to give him confidence and felt Pates may be a little ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!but then I also checked the alignment of the moon and made sure he wore his lucky shirt :lol:
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

DS1 sat at Pates and is there now in Y7. Its our closest GS and the one he loved the best when we looked around. His best mate loved Tommies at the open day( and is there now in y7) so his mum arranged for him to sit it there. So I would suggest what ever you think your child will be most comfortable with and the one you know how to get to with your eyes shut! No sense in making travel stress on the day.
Last edited by livviloo on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

It's 'recommended' that you sit the exam at your first choice of school.

I would usually suggest your closest grammar, the one where they will have most friends sitting the test from their school (I've even known boys sit the test at girls grammars, but that could be off-putting).

However, if your child has experienced problems with - for example - bullying, then sit it elsewhere.

Whatever you choose, the raw scores will be shared amongst all the schools you tick the box for, and will be weighted / adjusted for each separate school. The weighted results will be the same as if they had sat the exam at that school.

To sum up: choose whichever your child will feel happiest and most relaxed going to on the day.
Capers
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

DD sat it at Stroud High as it was our closest and the one that we thought she would be going to - she proved us wrong and got into Pates.

DD2 will be taking it next year and again I will get her to sit it at Stroud High - the day is stressful enough without the journey and everything else. She'd like to join her sister at Pates but understands that it might not be the case - she is as bright as her sister but in different ways (more maths than literacy).