Test feedback

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cairo

Re: Test feedback

Post by cairo »

ohhelp wrote:My DS sat the tests yesterday. During the 2nd test 5 mins in, felt very very sick and had tummy ache. Left the room to go to the toilet, then stayed outside for upto 20 mins with the teacher !!! once back in the room, ran out of time and had to guess on the last 20 questions (while very upset - crying for the rest of the paper). Is there anything I can do ???????

Oh dear - how very upsetting for you!

Ring the school and tell them what your DS has told you. Ask them whether the invigilator has written the details of the incident in their report - it might come in useful to you if you need to appeal.

Do you know whether your DS had extra time added on because of being in the loo? There seems to have been some discrepancy about this in the past, so you should establish exactly what has happened in your DS' case. If you do need to appeal, there's lots of helpful advice on this site.

Whilst writing can I remind people to avoid discussing actual questions that were in the test? I know people have been pretty good on this site, but I've heard people discussing vocab that came up whilst out and about (in Sainsbury's of all places!) As the late sitters get the same tests, this is not in our DC's best interests!

Just to add my voice to those that have reminded us that you can't really judge how well your DC has done by their assessment of whether they found it easy or not. DS1 did better in the test he found "really, really hard" than the one he found "really, really easy" :lol:
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

to ohhelp
welcome, there will be plenty of people here with good advice for you but to start you off I would say write down as much about yesterday as your DS can remember. Has he any history of tummy troubles that you have seen your gp about? If he was ill when he got home make a note and if it is appropriate see your doctor as soon as possible to confirm any illness in writing in case you need it for appeal. On Monday contact the school where he sat the test and ask for advice. I am sure this type of thing happens. However, be prepared to prove he was ill rather than nervous.

I don't think your DS could re-take as he has seen the test already but I am not sure if there are any alternative arrangements in this situation. If you have to appeal because he doesn't pass then the circunstances of his being unwell will be important as will any evidence of his academic ability.
Hope your DS feels better soon x
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I too have posted before as DD2 took the test at pates 4 years ago. She missed 13 questions on the second paper -yes 13!! She did not have the time or sense to put any answers on the sheet and we thought that she had therefore failed. She was in the top 120 and we later found out that she was in the 40-80 rank within that 120 so do not be unhappy if your child missed out answers.
I imagine from DD's usual performance that it is likely she got most of the rest of the answers correct but she did still miss out a lot.
DS took the exam yesterday and found it ok - not easy but not impossible apart from any question to do with codes, all of which he had to guess. Thank goodness its only a week until we find out!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

:arrow:
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
good_times

Post by good_times »

This is the first time I've posted and I've been reading your comments with interest. My daughter sat the papers at Pates yesterday - and she thought they were tough, particularly the first one. She's had high results on all her practice papers bar the odd blip. She didn't finish the first paper and had to guess the last 4 questions - which she's never done before and has always finished with about 10 minutes to spare. She wasn't stressed going in and just said it was really hard which is why she was slower than usual because she was being so careful. She did say the second paper was better.

We don't actually live in Glos and she's just sat the first paper in Bucks too because we don't know if we're moving or not. We hadn't realised she couldn't use the test booklet for workings out (which is permissable in Bucks) so she had to adapt quickly. She also said that first Glos paper was much, much harder than the Bucks paper she did this week.

I couldn't believe how many children were streaming into the school to take the paper. There must be alot of children chasing every place.

I do wish everyone luck - I think it's a big ask of all those kids.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Goodtimes - remember the Bucks test is just VR and the score needed to qualify is very high - 90% last year. It also is there to select the top 30% as Bucks is a selective LA, so you are not comparing like with like.
mayhillgirl

Post by mayhillgirl »

This is the first time I've posted too and have been really reassured by your feedback. My DD sat the test at Pates and said the invigilator was really helpful and kind. I had assumed the first paper was going to be the easier of the two and that time wouldn't be an issue but DD ran out of time and resorted to guessing loads of questions. (She had been scoring consistently high marks on Walsh etc). She said the 2nd test was really easy so I'm hoping they'll average out okay! Can't wait until results day!