Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bombdabah

Re: Pates

Post by bombdabah »

Naulakha wrote:I think as your DC is ranked at 157 it is unlikely he would have been offered a place at Pates - it usually goes as far as the high 130s ranks on allocation day I believe.

Hi Naulakha
The letter from pates does state "In the last few years we have been making offers to students into the last ten of the qualified group"

He proabably still might not have made it on allocation day, however its not in the spirit of a parent (or this forum) to discount the place simply beacuse of the low ranking.
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

3kidsmum if you mean on a normal day then registration is at 8.45 and the day ends at 3.35.

My daughter catches a bus and it's schedule is to arrive at the school at 8.20 and pick up is at 3.45.

Hope that helps.
Naulakha

Post by Naulakha »

Bombdabah, you may be aware that there will be parents in the 121-160 position keen to watch the forum for any signs of movement in the top 120 rank, i.e. those who really would be turning down a guaranteed place if they do not apply to Pate's, and would therefore definitely have an effect on their DCs ranking.

I felt your comments as they stood were misleading to such parents, unintentionally I'm sure, and gave the impression you were turning down a top 120 place, when this is not the case- you also mentioned another 2 at his school in this way.

No hard feelings I hope- it is a difficult time for many and I agree we should all try to be sensitive.
I wish you and your DS the best for his new school :) .
lassett

Post by lassett »

Bombdabah, it sounds like you have made a good decision and for all the right reasons, you're definitely not insane! Child preference is very important and as you say, STRS is an excellent school and not in any way inferior in my opinion - it was our aim too because our son thought he'd enjoy it though part of his choosing it was to get away from elder brother at Crypt...
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milla

Post by Milla »

yup, had to dump son off there en route to Tommy's with German boy on exchange last week (Bennett's wouldn't let us take up seat already paid for by another Tommy's boy in the morning, despite that this boy only has the pass for the afternoon travel and has paid for the morning one - "not transferrable" they said. How mean is that!) Anyway, to miss the traffic to Glos I was dropping DS1 at 7.45 there and although he didn't want the breakfast and his beloved library wasn't open, he could go and sit in the classroom. Or presumably play outside.
3kidsmum

Post by 3kidsmum »

thanks Subanna, FluffyCat

Now i know the earlist i can drop dd1 to school is about 730am, how about after school, have you got any idea of the school gate close time?
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lassett

Post by lassett »

Hi Glos_mum, I'm actually quite appauled by the school bus costs. About twice as much as doing it on public ones. I also think it's wrong that it costs the same regardless of where you catch it from. The bus companies are making a fortune from parents who are concerned about their child's safety and I think it's wrong, however I don't think that I have the ability to change it. If I had the time to organise a mass boycott it could be fun though! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now