DIY Route - A plan?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

Re: DIY Route - A plan?

Post by stroudydad »

Alice in Underland wrote:I agree with all the above comments. I tutored DS 2 myself for eleven plus last year. Started in April of year 5 with small sections of practice papers and built up to doing completed papers by end July then timed tests from then it.

tried to make it as fun as possible. Lts of word games. Hhe is a good reader and good at maths so I was quite optimistic. He was not so good at spelling but good vocabulary.

We had lot of fun learning and solving problems together and I found the whole process very rewarding. I really do not understand why so many people pay for private tutoring...if you are a graduate yourself you should be able to cope with the academic side ! You learn to develop the patience and optimism you need to work with them.

Just make sure you have a quiet place you can work together with no distractions, staring 20/30 mins a day and building up to the 90 mins. Sit quietly with them while they work through the problems. No phone, no TV, no siblings. Reward good work with positive feedback and the occasional treat.

Good luck
Not everyone is a graduate though!
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

I intended to home tutor (I'm not a graduate, infact I don't even have any A levels), but the clash between my DD and myself was just not worth it.

A pubescent daughter mixed with a menopausal mum does not make a very happy home :roll: :lol:
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Sabanna wrote:I intended to home tutor (I'm not a graduate, infact I don't even have any A levels), but the clash between my DD and myself was just not worth it.

A pubescent daughter mixed with a menopausal mum does not make a very happy home :roll: :lol:

Same here DD was a nightmare to get to do anything at home - homeschooling just would not work in this house! However took in everything her tutor told her.
I might try DIY with DS this year but may resort to the tutor if I get the same "attitude"
Orson

Post by Orson »

...if the tutor hasn't booked up! :)
posttestdayblues

Post by posttestdayblues »

I think that if one has the ability and time to tutor your own child then you should, if not then a a professional tutor should be sort. I dont think that one way is better than the other. My own experience is that i was unable to explain some of the necessary v.r techniques so found some one who could explain them.

I would also recommend that dont leave it later than 6 months in getting your DS started.

I hope this helps
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Sabanna wrote:I intended to home tutor (I'm not a graduate, infact I don't even have any A levels), but the clash between my DD and myself was just not worth it.

I am a primary school teacher with loads of special needs experience, I have the patience of ( an extremely patient) saint with children, but not my own!

What do you MEAN you don;t understand??! THINK!!!
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I'm very happy to tutor the English essay and comprehension as I tutor these subjects anyway, from infant to beyond uni. NVR is very straightforward, but I get baffled by the maths in both VR and Maths papers and haven't the confidence to tutor these in a clear and helpful way.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now