Here we go again! Anyone else out there?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
willow_catkin

Re: Here we go again! Anyone else out there?

Post by willow_catkin »

Yes, DS is currently a year ahead.

Grammars do take them a year early altho they only get one chance - cannot re take it in their 'proper' year.

Each has a slightly different requirement but most say they have children 'underage' in every year.
Milla

Post by Milla »

removed
Last edited by Milla on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cairo

Post by cairo »

As always it depends on the child, doesn't it?

It was recommended that I be put up a year in primary school, but my parents refused because I was physically small. I've always thought that was the wrong decision. I was bored out of my mind at primary school (regularly pretending to be ill, just to avoid the monotony) and could easily have managed the work in the year above. Not only that, but I then took a year out between school and university, which meant that I felt old when I got there; whereas if I'd been put up a year I'd have been the right age if you know what I mean.

Having said that, a friend of mine who had been put up a year (and was an August birthday - so effectively two years' younger than the oldest in the class) got up to outrageous things aged 14 with a member of a famous band...... :shock: So perhaps not always in the child's best interests for people to assume they are older than they are.

But yes, the grammar schools do let them take the exam a year early - but they only get one shot at it. They can't re-do it the following year.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

I seem to have turned this into a discussion about being underage for which apologies :oops: I did not mean to hijack the thread, just say 'au revoir' and good luck to those doing the exam this year
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now