Anyone had their Pate's welcome pack yet?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

proud mum x2

Re: Anyone had their Pate's welcome pack yet?

Post by proud mum x2 »

Please don't moan !! the stuff from the Famous might be a bit pricey and you might have a bit of a wait in the shop, but what a great feeling to be there buying it!

It is actually good quality stuff, and it's a quaint little shop, I really enjoy going there ,only sad that I'll probably only have one more visit there before my youngest goes into 6th form (we hope!) Then it'll be business clothes and really grown up stuff.

Be proud that your DC's have worked hard to get there, lots would love the chance to queue there!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aargh

Post by aargh »

proud mum x2 wrote:Please don't moan !! the stuff from the Famous might be a bit pricey and you might have a bit of a wait in the shop, but what a great feeling to be there buying it!

It is actually good quality stuff, and it's a quaint little shop, I really enjoy going there ,only sad that I'll probably only have one more visit there before my youngest goes into 6th form (we hope!) Then it'll be business clothes and really grown up stuff.

Be proud that your DC's have worked hard to get there, lots would love the chance to queue there!
I'm perfectly sure it is lovely at The Famous proud mum, and I am exceptionally proud of my DD. I am sure it is good quality etc. I am sure it is a fun experience.
But we do not have the money. No amount of pride or interesting quaintness in the buying experience is going to change that! So I shall get the tie and the badge and the rest will come from elsewhere.
£52 or £9 for a blazer? I have to save that £43 so we can eat for this week.

What I was refering to in my earlier post was Kukri. My objection with kukri is that it is difficult to have to order in a small time window and have to do it online (guessing for size) and have to have it sent to school (instead of to me who bought it) for September (order in April and not get it until September?) and then what if it turns out to be the wrong size...
Amber

Post by Amber »

aargh wrote:I'm perfectly sure it is lovely at The Famous proud mum, and I am exceptionally proud of my DD. I am sure it is good quality etc. I am sure it is a fun experience..
I may be able to reassure you aargh, that you are not missing too much in the way of fun. As someone who has experienced more of that shop's 'quaintness', than I would care to recall (usually instead of a family holiday as it takes a similar amount of time and money) that other views are available and not all of us would agree on just how lovely it is. I am all for good old-fashioned service and traditional values, but some might say that it is not always 'service with a smile' in there, and having to go upstairs for skirts and blazers and downstairs for everything else, queuing twice while staff hand write every last detail down on a quaint, old-fashioned docket with carbon paper while a shop full of impatient and rapidly dehydrating children shift from foot to foot does only have limited appeal after the second renewal on the car-park. I am very much hoping that I shall never have to go there again (only just realised this happy fact) and indeed as we are currently wringing our hands over which sixth form DD should attend, this might yet be the deciding factor.... :lol:
Proud mum - do Pate's sixth formers need anything from The Famous? How do you fancy taking an extra child with you when you go? :D
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

I quite liked it there..... :)

Yeah,Ill admit it was a proud moment when we bunged all his stuff on a credit card( :wink: )...I don't care how that sounds.
Everyone was friendly-even with a mad 5 year old pulling stuff off racks and hiding behind the desk,a toddler on meltdown and the baby insisting the chair in the corner with the rather ancient but terribly nice shop assistant stood right by the side of me was the perfect place for a breastfeed....ahhhhh....happy,happy memories.

Anyway-theres only a very few bits that absolutely HAVE to be purchased there-just make the most of the tie and rugby purchases :D

Kukri IS annoying.More annoying with girls and the skort thingie Id guess...we managed the sizing ok and found them pretty bang on(they have the actual measurements alongside on the website I think?)

I loved it all.
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

Don't rush to buy from the famous as they usually have a discount period they usually display on the parents year 7 evening and hand out details.

When we took my oldest there a few years back I was served by the same chap who served my mum when I went, was a bit disappointed he didn't remember me though!

Imlookmforward to seeing him again for my youngest, although wont be going on a Saturday as it is very busy.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Makes no difference to me but is it safe to say you are all referring to the sports brand kukri, and not an actual kukri? Or is swordsmanship on the timetable there? ;-)
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:Makes no difference to me but is it safe to say you are all referring to the sports brand kukri, and not an actual kukri? Or is swordsmanship on the timetable there? ;-)
:lol:
aargh

Post by aargh »

DD was rather excited briefly, as Grandpa did actually serve along with the Gurkhas.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

My year 5 dd practices Korean sword forms and would love any school that had something like that going on
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now