Crypt new starters - how you feeling?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
totally_gutted

Re: Crypt new starters - how you feeling?

Post by totally_gutted »

cazien

Thank you so much for posting about the 3 Tommies appeals.
I know the Crypt appeal panel can allow as few or as many as they like so it may not matter at the end of the day, but if there is any chance that those turned down places means more chance for DS and others appealing then fingers crossed.

Apparently there were 53 appeals registered for Crypt this year, compared to I think 31 last year, so admit my heart did sink a bit when I read that. Still, I think there were over 60 for Ribston so could have been worse!

TG
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

New head of lower school went to see my ds at school today and was really positive about the visit. He said they discussed "everything" from what sports and clubs available to bullying and friendships, as well as academic strengths and weakness. He came home beaming!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

In lots of ways Tommies would be a good fit as it is the nearer school for us DS could potentially ride his bike to school. I think Crypt might suit him better as I suspect DS may need some support with his writing as he is bordering on dyspraxia and Crypt seem to offer some good targeted support for such issues. I just want DS to keep his options open rather than be too fixed at this point about which school he goes to.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

That sounds really sensible, interestingly my dh and I did a list of pros and cons for each school before 11 plus results and surprised ourselves with our strong preference for crypt. As it happens without appeal that was our main option, along with marling, so all good in the end! A friend who has a child really strong in science and Maths but not English is at crypt and he had a term of literacy targeted support, and his confidence soared!
one down two to go

Post by one down two to go »

Hi there,
This is my first posting so please bear with me!
Our Son has also passed for the Crypt and is going alone from his school. We don't know of anybody else in the area that is going, or of any boys that will be catching the Rob Dix bus from the Cheltenham Racecourse. Are there any other parents in the same position????
I agree that it is a lovely way of future Cryptonians to introduce themselves by way of a letter to their new Head Teacher, Our son was very excited and also gave him a sense of pride.
Is anybody else finding all the information extremley helpful and positive but also a little be daunting too?.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Hi,

My son is the only one from his school too, the PGL trip apparently great for cementing new friendships. If you'd like to pm me, maybe we can meet over the summer and the boys can meet? I sat down yesterday and trawled through the info pack - and sent all stuff off today. My DS wrote a rather "interesting" letter to Mr S (!!!!) - but I let him do it alone as felt it then reflected him, rather than help or ask him to include particular things. He is my youngest - so I've done all this secondary school thing before but Crypt certainly seem very thorough! Its getting both exciting and somewhat emotive for me sending my baby off to BIG school!!!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now