How far do you travel to GS, and is it too far?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
steppemum

How far do you travel to GS, and is it too far?

Post by steppemum »

Hi, my ds is in year 5 and we have just visited Marling and thought it was amazing. We live in Swindon. We only considered it because we discovered the train is very easy (catch 8 am ish train, takes half an hour) plus 15 minutes for him to get to station.

But is that too much travel really? What do you do about getting to school events (would be 50 minute drive)? How do your dcs cope with the travelling? How do they manage homework when arriving home late?

Any thoughts for or against gratefully received
Stressed?Moi?

Re: How far do you travel to GS, and is it too far?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

We leave to walk to the stop at 7.30 with bus arriving at 7.50. Return pick up from bus stop is 4.10. I don't think this is too bad. I wonder if your schedule is a little tight though; that would be my only concern? Do you have a back-up if train is late/leaves on the line/driver has a sniffle, etc? Unfortunately few of us live on the doorstop of GSs, so sacrifices are inevitable. In view of there not being catchments and therefore having pupils coming from distances, the grammars seem to organise lunchtime clubs so that pupils aren't restricted because of travel. It's a question of choices I guess but it is worth remembering that it is a committment for the whole family and not just the child. Good luck with your decision.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

I know there are a number of children who go on the train from swindon (about 12 at Marling plus the girls school), and that is the train they catch, so I'm just going on what they say.
The parents I have spoken to are very positive. The advantage of the train being that you can catch a later one as it isn't a school bus, so no restrictions on after school stuff.

It just seems a long way away, and ds is a bit overwhelmed by the distance, and I wondered how other parents found the travelling and the long days
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

edit
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

We are going to look for a property in Cheltenham but we are in near Bristol Parkway and will catch a train with other DCs if we cannot move in time (Sept 2013).
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

We live 5 miles away from Ribston but in Gloucester and I work in Gloucester but part time. DD gets a lift with a friend most days and we live on the number 10 bus route which is a good back up. It is great as DD can leave at 8am and can be back home by 3.45 or some days goes to the library and I pick up at 4.30. ie we have plenty of flex in the system which I personally find really helpful and I am so glad not to be out of the house any earlier than 8 in the morning.
Willow18

Post by Willow18 »

If we choose to take up a place at Ribston we will have to leave home at 7.10am to get to Cheltenham Racecourse for 7.30am!! Such a dilemma and so little time to decide, especially with it now being half term :?
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

My son is in Y7. He leaves at 7.35 and gets home at 4.45, but as late as 6.30 on the 3 nights/week he has clubs. Little time for anything more than homework, food and bed... But I asked him if he'd swap and go to a local school and his reply was no. He's young in the year but is loving his newfound freedom. And the year 8 girls he met en route on his second day!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

How do your dcs manage their homework if they arrive home lateish? Or maybe that should be what time do they go to bed?
How do they see their school friends outside of school? and how hard is it to do parents evenings ect (especially if you have other dcs)

I did a long day from when I was 15, and found it very tiring, which is why I am concerned for ds doing it from age 11.

I am prepared to risk it, because it is such a good option for him, but am worrying about homework, tiredness, and friendships. And this is before we have even got to the exams!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now