age adjustment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thisandthat3

Re: age adjustment

Post by thisandthat3 »

Not wanting to get into the pros and cons of all this my understand of how age is used in scoring is that each pupils' mark is compared with others in his/her birth month. This could feasibly mean that you would need a lower number of correct questions even if you were older IF for instance the August birthdays performed better than the January ones in a particularly year. In all likelihood this won't happen and the opposite may. Of course I don't know this for certain - just read it somewhere last year and it kind of made sense then!
Amber

Post by Amber »

EmeraldE wrote:In DD's year at Pates there are twice as many boys (20) as girls (10) approx in each class. In subsequent years the ratio has been closer to 50:50. The year after DD got in is when the 'tweak' aparently happened. Read into this what you will. As for emotional maturity, I am not suggesting that that's why they standarise results, just a thought really. I'm sure it is down to just trying to even out the playing field for the eldest and youngest. There has to be some system.
I understood that the 'tweak' occurred not in the standardisation but in the content of the questions. I think there was a feeling that the test style had begun to favour girls, with more 'word' questions, which traditionally would be easier for them, and fewer 'number' ones which traditionally are done better by boys. I think the 'tweak' was designed to even out the content rather than doing anything by gender specifically. And it apparently worked.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

edited
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

PaterGloucester wrote:Isn't this true, Capers ?
No idea. Panel members don't get to see the question papers or have any knowledge of the mix of question types. Only the school side know about such things.
Capers
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Amber wrote:
Capers123 wrote:It's less of a factor than when they first start in reception...
I would absolutely refute that. Even when I trained as infant teacher in the Dark Ages, it was recognised what a massive disadvantage 4 year olds had in school vs 5 year olds. In my first job as a Reception teacher we had 3 intakes because of it. With some exceptions, young in the year children do very badly in the early years of school, especially if they are boys. By which I mean, they find it hard to get used to the routines, they can't sit still (because they are not designed to do so ) and they often struggle to stay awake. The age gap begins young and our school system perpetuates it.
Refute that? Looks like you're agreeing with what I wrote! I suspect that you missed reading the 'than' in the middle of my sentence. :)
Capers
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Amber wrote:
Capers123 wrote:It's less of a factor than when they first start in reception...
I would absolutely refute that. Even when I trained as infant teacher in the Dark Ages, it was recognised what a massive disadvantage 4 year olds had in school vs 5 year olds. In my first job as a Reception teacher we had 3 intakes because of it. With some exceptions, young in the year children do very badly in the early years of school, especially if they are boys. By which I mean, they find it hard to get used to the routines, they can't sit still (because they are not designed to do so ) and they often struggle to stay awake. The age gap begins young and our school system perpetuates it.
This is so true. My DS was 4 yrs and 3 days when he started school with his best buddy just turning 5 years. The one year difference between them was huge and he has struggled to catch up. After all, September borns have had a year more of learning words, doing sums, routine, maturity, etc, than an August born. From what I've seen and experienced (being an end of August born myself) things even out in senior school but not before. Just my opinion.
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

capers123 wrote:
PaterGloucester wrote:Isn't this true, Capers ?
No idea. Panel members don't get to see the question papers or have any knowledge of the mix of question types. Only the school side know about such things.
I was referring to the change in ratio of boys:girls rather than the question types. I would have thought any change would be noticeable to you in your role.
Amber

Post by Amber »

capers123 wrote:
Amber wrote:
Refute that? Looks like you're agreeing with what I wrote! I suspect that you missed reading the 'than' in the middle of my sentence. :)
Indeed I was. So sorry. :oops: Have got an eye infection (both eyes) - will you let me off? I do have compelling medical evidence and a good record. :lol:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

PaterGloucester wrote:I was referring to the change in ratio of boys:girls rather than the question types. I would have thought any change would be noticeable to you in your role.
Only the panel for Pates for those years might notice a change (and panels often change members from year to year), but even then, the intake is probably different from those lodging appeals.
Capers
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Amber wrote:Indeed I was. So sorry. :oops: Have got an eye infection (both eyes) - will you let me off? I do have compelling medical evidence and a good record. :lol:
I hope the medical evidence is in writing and that you reported it to the doctor before you took the exam - I mean replied to the posting...
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now