age adjustment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: age adjustment

Post by Amber »

So much decent educational research has shown that birth month has a lasting impact on educational performance in this country that it would really be inexcusable to deny summer born children an equal chance of a GS place in a selective system. Sadly it isn't taken into account in SATs etc, but if a school place is to be allocated on an exam-based system then it is only right and fair to take it into account.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

PaterGloucester wrote:It’s of interest to me as my younger son, who’s taking the test this time, was born in the first week of September.
He's in good company, I was born on the first, however due to a serious medical condition was taught a year behind everyone else from year 7. I was nearly two yeara older than some in my class..should have gone to school in Korea. ;-)
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

stroudydad wrote:
PaterGloucester wrote:It’s of interest to me as my younger son, who’s taking the test this time, was born in the first week of September.
He's in good company, I was born on the first, however due to a serious medical condition was taught a year behind everyone else from year 7. I was nearly two yeara older than some in my class..should have gone to school in Korea. ;-)
I'm eternally obliged to my dear wife for hanging on for those extra few days, as sending him to school a whole year earlier would have been close on criminal.

Out of interest, what happens if you are born very prematurely at the end of August ? Surely there must be some mechanism for these situations ?

Korea – wow !
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Think you may have misunderstood me Pater, I actually went to Rich's but in Korea ages are stated differently, when a child is born it is immediately one year old, and ages increase at the start of each year not on their birthdays.. So a child born new years eve is two the day later. :shock:
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

stroudydad wrote:Think you may have misunderstood me Pater, I actually went to Rich's but in Korea ages are stated differently, when a child is born it is immediately one year old, and ages increase at the start of each year not on their birthdays.. So a child born new years eve is two the day later. :shock:
It's amazing what you can learn off this forum. Next time I'm at a birthday party in Seoul I shall relax knowing I won't make any faux pas...
Amber

Post by Amber »

PaterGloucester wrote:
stroudydad wrote:Think you may have misunderstood me Pater, I actually went to Rich's but in Korea ages are stated differently, when a child is born it is immediately one year old, and ages increase at the start of each year not on their birthdays.. So a child born new years eve is two the day later. :shock:
It's amazing what you can learn off this forum. Next time I'm at a birthday party in Seoul I shall relax knowing I won't make any faux pas...
You might also like to know, if your birthday party tour of Asia includes China, that apparently the second born twin is considered older there, in contrast to here, on the grounds that they got into the uterus first. I assume the same happens with triplets, etc. Though whether this is academic as multiple births are banned under the one child policy, I don't know.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Thats kid of why Koreans are one at birth, they treat gestation as one year.
Mum66

Post by Mum66 »

There's some good information on standardisation on the NFER website (National Foundation for Educational Research - I think is what it stands for). I've read it and although may not have completely understood it, felt it seemed a fair system.
platypus

Post by platypus »

r
Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

'like'
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now