Is anyone else wishing their life away

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ellen-Jane

Re: Is anyone else wishing their life away

Post by Ellen-Jane »

From the GCC website, numbers on role as at May 2012 in a state school in Gloucestershire.

This year's year groups
Y1 6296
Y2 6152
Y3 6037
Y4 6051
Y5 6117
Y6 5752
Y7 5968
Y8 6396
Y9 6683
Y10 6650

This obviously excludes those in private schools and those out of Gloucestershire, but it looks like this current Y6, (age 9 on 31st Aug 2011) is the smallest year group for some time. Let's hope it helps our DC get the school they want. :)

Of course, once in Y7, the number of DC in a state school in Gloucestershire may rise as those DC who were in a private primary take up a state secondary place. The data above was from May 2012, so those in this year's Y7 above were still in primary school at that point, so you'd expect to see a rise from Y8 onwards, and there is quite a rise, but even Y8 (millennium year) was smaller than Y9, 1998-1999.

GCC used to have lots of historical data on it's website but it seems to have got rid of it with it's website upgrade, so it's harder to compare.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Ellen-Jane wrote:From the GCC website, numbers on role as at May 2012 in a state school in Gloucestershire.

This year's year groups
Y1 6296
Y2 6152
Y3 6037
Y4 6051
Y5 6117
Y6 5752
Y7 5968
Y8 6396
Y9 6683
Y10 6650

This obviously excludes those in private schools and those out of Gloucestershire, but it looks like this current Y6, (age 9 on 31st Aug 2011) is the smallest year group for some time. Let's hope it helps our DC get the school they want. :)

Of course, once in Y7, the number of DC in a state school in Gloucestershire may rise as those DC who were in a private primary take up a state secondary place. The data above was from May 2012, so those in this year's Y7 above were still in primary school at that point, so you'd expect to see a rise from Y8 onwards, and there is quite a rise, but even Y8 (millennium year) was smaller than Y9, 1998-1999.

GCC used to have lots of historical data on it's website but it seems to have got rid of it with it's website upgrade, so it's harder to compare.
Sorry if I'm being stupid, but if it was May 2012, surely current yr 6 (our children) were in Yr 5??
Amber

Post by Amber »

From the Pates website:
We are delighted to have received more registrations for our test - more 'applications' - than ever before, and by some distance.
Not what you want to hear, in a way; but in the unlikely event that anyone on here has a DC who is unsuccessful next week, you can tell them that the numbers were so high it was always a long shot. Every cloud, and all that... :?

DS2 in year 7 now and we were told when he became of statutory school age that his was a low birth year and we could have our pick of primary schools in Gloucestershire. It did not make the 11+ feel any more palatable last year though, as because of the new CAF procedures introduced a couple of years previously, numbers sitting the test were also higher, in fact I think they are climbing year on year as people have less to lose by trying.
qip001

Post by qip001 »

From the Pates website:

Quote:
We are delighted to have received more registrations for our test - more 'applications' - than ever before, and by some distance.

Not what you want to hear, in a way; but in the unlikely event that anyone on here has a DC who is unsuccessful next week, you can tell them that the numbers were so high it was always a long shot. Every cloud, and all that...
Actually this statement quoted from Pate's site applies to last year's intake. There is no information about high numbers of applicants this year.
Amber

Post by Amber »

qip001 wrote:
From the Pates website:

Quote:

Not what you want to hear, in a way; but in the unlikely event that anyone on here has a DC who is unsuccessful next week, you can tell them that the numbers were so high it was always a long shot. Every cloud, and all that...
Actually this statement quoted from Pate's site applies to last year's intake. There is no information about high numbers of applicants this year.
does it? It is taken from this year's page about admissions and refers a few lines earlier to the test next Saturday.
http://www.pates.gloucs.sch.uk/admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My sincere apologies if I have that wrong. At the very least it is ambiguous IMHO.
qip001

Post by qip001 »

Year 7 Admissions 2012

Click here to download the new Year 7 Welcome Pack and Forms.

To view the pack you will need to have a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader.

The allocation letters for students joining us for the start of Year 7 were sent out to coincide with the letters that the Local Authority send out.

This was the first year that we used an online registration system for the Grammar School test and it seems to have been a success. We would, of course, welcome any feedback.

There is still a little while for the process to run through re-considerations and then, possibly, appeals. During that process, a number of offers will be made as, for instance, places become available through re-consideration. At the moment, however, it looks like we will start off in September full and with almost exactly 50% boys and 50% girls in Year 7. This is a similar outcome to last year.
It clearly states on the Pate's site that the info above refers to 2012 intake and not 2013 intake as per above. They talk about allocated places and it does clearly states Year 7 admissions 2012. We will be Year 7 admissions 2013.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ok, I am sorry then. :oops:
I was trying to be helpful and to me it seemed to apply to this year. If i have alarmed anyone or muddied the waters I apologise.Odd that last year's birth rate was the lowest but applications the highest, in any case.

Good luck all, hope your kids are cleverer than me.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Glos_Mum wrote: Worst part by far, was drop-off. Felt like I had just thrown them into the lions
I was having a conversation with DW yesterday and preferred to think of it more as 'sending them into battle'.. (not sure if that's better or worse though.. We have kind of put her along the 'it's just another competition' (as she does many)instead of using punches kicks or an instrument you're using a pen.
Ellen-Jane

Post by Ellen-Jane »

Cup of tea wrote:
Sorry if I'm being stupid, but if it was May 2012, surely current yr 6 (our children) were in Yr 5??
I changed the year groups to this year's. The website had Y5, I changed it to Y6. Sorry , I thought that would make it easier to understand. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now