"pupil premium" in Pates what is your opinion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
neveragain*

Re: "pupil premium" in Pates what is your opinion

Post by neveragain* »

:)
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

It sounds like the kind of policy recommended by the Sutton Trust (run by former Pate's or Cheltenham Grammar boy Sir Peter Lampl). At one point I seem to remember they were paying for bright children from disadvantaged areas (such as the estate next to Pate's) to have some tutoring, and the stated objective of said trust is "is to improve educational opportunities for young people from non-privileged backgrounds and increase social mobility".

Absolutely right Capers, although this has stopped now. Pate's have always championed social mobility. However the kind of activities they undertook (info. from a friend who works there) were workshops/subject specific days etc. Did it make any difference? Probably very little. However (in their opinion) the money would be useful if it was used for tutoring sessions, which as we are aware is
a) costly or
b) requires complete dedication and an ability to scour the internet to find the many free resources which are out there.

Also completely agree (sorry, can't find who posted this) that in real terms this may be 1 or 2 students per year and if those children are naturally extremely bright then they should go. However you then come up against the class issue. Jack Wills, Abercrombie + Fitch, Cath Kidston etc. (ad infinitum!) all are not cheap, however every student seems to have a plethora of these labels in one form or another at their disposal.

So the pupil premium should be used for those students who don't necessarily have the money to say, go on a trip, buy a textbook, or anything else which is deemed educationally beneficial. It is roughly £600+ per year. Does all that money always get spent on those children??! Do they ask for £600 per year - that's a helluva lot of textbooks or nearly a ski-ing trip there. Therin lies my cynical belief that the school do benefit if there is a surplus.
Last edited by Cup of tea on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

magwich2 wrote:What is going to happen if your child qualifies for the "pupil premium" at the time of passing but then no longer qualifies after september ( the best of marriages can experience arguments and temporary separation- just sayin')

Haha! What a good idea, wish I'd thought of it earlier :D
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Who are Jack Wills and Cath Kidston?
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:Who are Jack Wills and Cath Kidston?
New head and deputy at Pates.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Google it! THE most popular clothing/fashion accessories with shops in Cheltenham. Just look at the prices though!
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Amber wrote:
New head and deputy at Pates.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Amber this is what happens at White Lodge and some other vocational ballet schools. Children are assessed out at the end of the year. Must be terribly traumatic for those youngsters after all they have done to get there. The entry process is so competitive and tough.

Just seen your last post Amber...love it! :D
thisandthat3

Post by thisandthat3 »

Hi Cup of Tea. All is not always as it seems. My DS has loads of Abercrombie and is at Pates. We moved from the US last year and all of his stuff was either on mega sale (as cheap as Asda here) or pass me downs. DS isn't even into labels but IS big on comfort: ) I do appreciate your point though.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

thisandthat3 wrote:Hi Cup of Tea. All is not always as it seems. My DS has loads of Abercrombie and is at Pates. We moved from the US last year and all of his stuff was either on mega sale (as cheap as Asda here) or pass me downs. DS isn't even into labels but IS big on comfort: ) I do appreciate your point though.
Yes, v different situation to UK kids who have to mail order (£10 delivery) or could opt to visit the 1 store in Saville Row London. Kids hoodies start at nearly £50! Adults at nearly £70!! No bargain basements here (unless they're hookey!)

But appreciate that some situations are different! Not for the majority though!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now