Post match analysis

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

capers123

Re: Post match analysis

Post by capers123 »

Perplexed 2009 wrote:I have heard that there were some upset DC, but I did not see them personally. It seems like the this was the first time some DC had seen these types of papers: I would be if shocked if I was presented with something like that with virtually no prep, and surrounded by lots of busy beavers.
I know of children who have been very well prepared, complete with mock exams, yet have gone to pieces to the extent of being removed from the room. Said child acheived a high score in the test through (whilst other children were disturbed and worried by the upset).

I would guess that a major disturbance happens in around 1/4 of test rooms, with almost every room having its sniffles, snivelling, coughing, rubber & pencil tapping, muttering or noises outside the room. There's a good marketing opportunity for someone there - CD's of 11+ disturbances to acclimatise your child at home :D
Capers
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Daughter has said that more than one group were in room at SHS, with slightly differing start and finish times, Including entering and leaving room... That said she did all her practise tests with three brothers running round like lunatics. The real one was probably the quietest she'd done.
DebP

Post by DebP »

My son said most, perhaps all, of the the other children in the room went to the toilet several times through the tests.
Based on what I had read here I always assured him that he was never expected to actually finish either paper - because f so many questions.
I didn't want him to be upset...
Like the others he found paer 1 much harder than paper 2 but had to quickly guess loads on both papers as he ran out of time.
Ellen-Jane

Post by Ellen-Jane »

That's comforting, DebP. Perhaps my DS wasn't so unusual, then. It's just a waiting game now. Good luck everyone.
Perplexed 2009

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

Heard of a couple of other people whose DCs found first paper MUCH easier than second, but found both easy, finished both papers! One l know was well tutored since January. My DD said some words she couldn't pronounce/ understand on first paper. Can some DC really have found first paper easy? It doesn't look good with my DD leaving out about 15 qs.
Last edited by Perplexed 2009 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

Hello all,
I have been lurking for my second time around as I have found the process somewhat more stressful than last time.
My DD came out feeling relaxed and a little resigned. She said the first paper was easier than the second ( yes you read right) but felt it was tighter on time. She missed 10 questions on each paper :shock: but randomly guessed them.
In her practice papers she has been getting in the high 90s so I think we have a nail biting time ahead of us.
There was no disturbance in her room.
On the plus side she has not found the process so far in any way distressing ( too relaxed?) and we have a good comp down the road.
Livviloo
Amber

Post by Amber »

Perplexed 2009 wrote:Heard of a couple of other people whose DC found first paper MUCH easier than second, but found both easy, finished both papers! One was home l know was well tutored since January. My DD said some words she couldn't pronounce/ understand on first paper. Can some DC really have found first paper easy? It doesn't look good with my DD leaving out about 15 qs
The year my older son sat the test we too heard of a child, bright and well-prepared, who found the whole thing very easy and didn't miss out any questions. This child is now at a local 'comprehensive' , having failed to secure a score high enough for entry to GS.

Don't panic and don't take a bit of notice of what your own child, or others, tell you has happened. They are 10 or 11 and they don't know! A few days and it will all be over. Good luck.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Have to agree wholeheartedly with Amber.. Best just to wait and see
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

edit
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginnie71

Post by Ginnie71 »

As an interested lurker, may I ask when you hear the results?

Good luck to everyone - parents and DC!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now