Under Aged kids

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

qip001

Under Aged kids

Post by qip001 »

Hi there,
I wondered if anyone has an under aged child that got into one of the girls grammars. My daughter is very bright and scores well on the tests, I wonder how she will be treated against other kids. Her bday is in September, she studies a year ahead at primary school, so she will be competing against some kids who are a year older than her. She has got a brother at Marling though.
stroudydad

Re: Under Aged kids

Post by stroudydad »

May I ask, is she nearer September or august birthday?
Mum66

Post by Mum66 »

It's great that your DD is so bright. Just a word of caution - from my understanding and what I've read on the school websites, children can only take the test once - so if your DD takes the test a year early and doesn't get in she won't be able to have a second chance when she is in Year 6. Probably best to contact the schools you are interested in ASAP to check.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Hi qip001. I can't comment on how your DD will be treated (I would hope she would be treated just like any other child though) but I can tell you that our DD has moved up a year at her primary (don't shoot me down anyone I'm only on here to reassure qip001 not looking to be judged). I contacted the relevant grammars before we did it to make sure she could apply a year early. They all said she could and that it wasn't unheard of as it has happened in the past. I have to agree with the previous comment though she will only be able to take the exam once (not again when she's the right age for year 6 but actually in year 7). Good luck and I hope your DD is enjoying the fun of slightly more interesting work with the (slightly) older children at primary.
Beckii330

Post by Beckii330 »

My DS is 10 today and obviously the exams have been brought forward by 4 months. I am quite concerned that he is too young to take it and do well even though he is bright. Hindsight - I really wish I'd held him back a year rather than sending him to school at 4 years and a few days.

I hope your DD does well :D
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

There have been some converations about children going up a year early and the difficulties it could cause later on when the rest of the peer group are more mature and able to do things legally that the younger ones cannot. I guess it depends on how the priamry school will cope with keeping your daughter interested through yr6 if she has already done it. My DD has done yr 6 maths twice and DS will do the same but they were in a little high ability maths group that worked at level 6 maths and although DD did not end up doing the level 6 sats paper she should settle well into the maths in her new school DS will do the same but probably more likley to level 6 maths paper.
Last edited by DC17C on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qip001

Post by qip001 »

Hi everyone, To answer some of your questions, my daughter started school a day before she turned 4 ( her bday is on sept 5th) so she always studied with kids a year older. She never jumped age groups. If I don't let her sit the test now she will have to do year 6 twice, she is top of her class even being so much younger than some of her classmates. I spoke with the schools and they assured me they see no problem and see kids like that often at entry exams.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Just out of interest, qip, how come your DD started school a year early? The 31st August cut off seems to be very rigid in Gloucestershire (and the school term never starts until Sept). I know a couple of very bright girls with early September birthdays whose parents would have jumped at the chance for them to start school at nearly 4 rather than nearly 5. Did you have to appeal to your county council or something?

Seeing as your DD is only going to be a week or so younger than the August born children in her year group I can't see that it should be a problem at secondary school. She will be the last to be officially allowed to drive, drink, vote etc but not by much.

I have just re-read your original post and wondered if you meant how would your DD's test be marked against the other kids? I would imagine she will be treated as though she is an August birthday but it is an interesting question. Be aware also, that (I think this is still true for this year) that she needs to score in the top 50% of qualifiers to get a place because she is underage. I've never understood quite what happens if she qualifies but not in the top 50% - I wonder if she would be offered a place for the following year?

Kind regards

Pixiequeen
qip001

Post by qip001 »

Hi Pixiequeen,
My DD went to a private school first, we have moved her to a state primary in year 2.

Yes, I want to know how her results will be marked as she is underage.

Kind regards,
Qip
capers123

Post by capers123 »

qip001 wrote:Yes, I want to know how her results will be marked as she is underage.
I think they will be standardised by age using the same system that all scores are.

My thoughts are that there are so many bright children in grammars, that leaving her to start in the proper year will not be a problem - she'll be stretched once shes there.

Taking the exam a year early runs such a high risk if she doesn't pass, as she'd not be allowed a second chance the following year. The downside is she may get bored in Y6 - but many bright children seem to.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now