Please advise - twilight zone....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anxious mummy

Re: Please advise - twilight zone....

Post by anxious mummy »

Thank you. My dd would love for her to get in too and its been so horrible hearing of how upset shes been today. They did tick ribston box but like us no ribston letter today. Even tho fruends of ours just streets away have recieved them! Royal mail being randomly selective today! My friends dd is dec born so that does sound hopeful :) Its a big dif. Between the scores!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Ok. Here's what to do.

Speak to Admissions at the school you cold have got not, just to say hello.

Put the school you could have got into on the top of the CAF. You won't be offered it. Then ask for reconsideration come March. You might be lucky. If you don't then you can appeal against not being offered it.
Capers
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

capers123 wrote:Ok. Here's what to do.

Speak to Admissions at the school you cold have got not, just to say hello.

Put the school you could have got into on the top of the CAF. You won't be offered it. Then ask for reconsideration come March. You might be lucky. If you don't then you can appeal against not being offered it.
My understanding is that if you are going to want / need to appeal for a place at a particular school, you have to name it as one of your CAF preferences, otherwise you would be making a late application to the school?

Have to say the Essex / Southend organisation is rather simpler than your "sharing" arrangement! Here you make one the application to take the 11+ to a consortium which covers the 8 single-gender (oops, nearly used the word I really meant there) grammar schools and the selective admissions to the 2 semi-selective comps and the 2 RC bilaterals. All the CSSE wants to know is which school you want your child to take the test at, which doesn't even have to be one you would want to put on your CAF (some people choose the nearest school, or one which is likely to be quieter). On results day you just get the one standardised score, which is valid for consideration for any of the grammars / semis / bilaterals.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Perplexed 2009

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

2 years ago, a Mum at school only shared her score with Pate's. Her DD did not achieve a high enough score, but after much upset she realised her DD's score would have been enough for Ribston, had she shared her scores. I don't know the Mum well and she did not want to talk about it, so I don't know EXACT details, but at about the end of June it was said she had a place without having to go to appeal. It maybe that the Head of Primary phoned Ribston and pleaded sound academic record (and she had passed). The DD is now at Ribston and thriving. The head of Ribston has been at the school for at least 30 years (teaching) so it is very much her school. Hope this is encouraging to any who need to wait a while.

This year, a friend with a DD got 212 Ribston and 204 HSFG.
Lulu1

Post by Lulu1 »

Hi
Can anyone shed some light on the possible choices for DD. New to this as first time round :? - hopefully I will have a better understanding come 3rd DD.......

Denmark 225
Stroud 236 (ranked 135)
Ribston 234

I was expecting a ranking for Denmark and Ribston, but got just the score and a pass.

Any advice if it's likely for her to get into a gs with these marks ? - and I'm not sure what order to put on the caf.

Thanks
capers123

Post by capers123 »

With those scores, put the one you want most, first!
Capers
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Lulu1 wrote:Hi
Can anyone shed some light on the possible choices for DD. New to this as first time round :? - hopefully I will have a better understanding come 3rd DD.......

Denmark 225
Stroud 236 (ranked 135)
Ribston 234

I was expecting a ranking for Denmark and Ribston, but got just the score and a pass.

Any advice if it's likely for her to get into a gs with these marks ? - and I'm not sure what order to put on the caf.

Thanks
Congratulations, these are excellent results with the pass marks for Denmark and Ribston being 210 I believe (sure someone will correct me as this was the pass mark when dd took it last year) you really don't need to be posting in this thread (lucky you). Not sure about Stroud but Denmark and Ribston don't do rankings, it's purely about having the most marks past the pass mark>
Ditsy

Post by Ditsy »

Hi Capers. I have sent you a PM. Thanks
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Capers may I ask on behalf of a friend so I give her the right advice - should she put HSFG on her CAF if DD has missed the pass mark by 2 and she might want to appeal? I know she will not get an offer for that school and can only go to appeal but it is just the CAF she needs help with. She has a pass for RHHS and could have a comp as a choice. Would it be HSFG then RHHS then comp or RHHS, HSFG then comp or just RHHS, comp and leave HSFG off but appeal after March allocations.

I know there have been posts on this before but I am still not 100% sure. Many thanks.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

btw Lolomimi
It sounds to me like you could have a chance at Ribston from some of those pevious posts. Take Capers advice and ring the school, they will have had this happen before and know what you can do. They are very supportive and helpful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now