Is it crazy to turn down Pates?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Re: Is it crazy to turn down Pates?

Post by stroudydad »

Several of the quotes are mine... They are true opinions, representing what I and my wife felt... Sorry to those of you who feel put out by me having an opinion, but I do and mine is just as valid as anyone pro Pate's so like it or lump it I will say what I feel. Frankly though I have had enough.. There are some great people here, sadly it's also got some idiots...(some of you may think I am one.)
Sunflowers You are certainly not mad for turning down Pate's for a school you believe is best for your son...
So long...
SD has left the building.
Vio125

Post by Vio125 »

Please don't leave the building - I enjoy reading your lively posts as I am sure many others do!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Don't go SD. It needs a spread of views to continue. I went once and came back.We haven't always agreed but your views are just as worthwhile as anyone else's. Pates does cast a mystique and of course it is just a school. Just a school.
Sunflowers

Post by Sunflowers »

Hope nobody is really offended, especially lovely qip001. Everyone who is off to Pate's will have a wonderful time and a top education and should at present be feeling so excited about the prospect and really proud of themselves. It is obviously an amazing school and opportunity for anyone who gets the chance, which is why it was so hard to turn down and took so much thought. I couldn't fault it which is why I couldn't work out why we weren't totally drawn to choosing it. Didn't particularly notice negativity about Pate's, I was noticing lots of fantastic comments about it, and was feeling less positivity about Marling from thread, but a few pros and cons about each of them (and other schools) were emerging, which I guess is what I wanted to find out about.
I wrote one of the dodgy quotes about the 'Oxbridge types'...I prob phrased it badly (so sorry), but that had been said to me as a positive thing about Pate's rather than negative to encourage us to choose it!... I think we've 'all' had a bit of a stressful month or two and some of us are waiting to erupt! I think comments on here can get misunderstood, as it's a bit like texting and hard to express everything you would get across if talking...also as the thread was/is coming to an end, maybe that extra little burst of argumentative stress has kept it going and of interest for a little longer! Maybe now that the exam and CAF submission is all done and dusted, some of us needed a bit of 'excitement'!
I certainly wasn't put off of Pate's by anything I've read on here, and after reading the other thread about Drop from GCSE to A levels, will seriously get DS to think about it for 6th form (If he can achieve the right grades at Marling!!), he peeked in the 6th form common room when we looked around and quite fancied hanging out in there! I'll try not to come back for a similar debate in 5 years time when we're deciding...or shall I?!! What's the Marling (Downfield) 6th form common room like?!!
Anyway, we can't scare off StroudyDad, come back SD!
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

'Like' for Sunflowers post.

Can we close the thread now and end on a positive note :) ?!
Superflygirl

Post by Superflygirl »

Don't go stroudydad :( . Ultimately what is "right" for one person won't be "right" for the other. Everyone knows their own child and should follow their instincts. We knew straight away that Pate's wouldn't have been the place for our DS even if he had scored enough. Before the test Tommies, was the favourite and continued to be so. No reflection at all on Pate's, he just didn't feel it. Thankfully in this world we are all different as life would be boring if we all aimed for the same thing x
snowflakes

Post by snowflakes »

I agree it is a discussion forum and you can post your honest opinions here without upsetting others.
I am sharing mine and hope it doesnt offend anyone.

DS1 and us looked around all the grammars and we didnt like Tommies or Crypt. I will not say anything bad about these schools, but we have our reasons for not liking them and i am sure lots of people do not share our opinion. Marling is simply too far.
Once we were shown around Pates, DS1 eyes lit up, he told us this was the school he wanted to go to. We were well impressed by the facilities and easy going happy kids who showed us around. We asked lots of questions at all schools and Pates teachers' answers were the most personal and detailed. DS1 tells me the schools felt like his primary just bigger. He is very competitive and thrives at his primary, we could see Pates could meet his needs.

We have not had much preparation - an hr a week for 4 months. Out of 21 kids in our tutor group only 3 got in. The bright kids who were predicted to get in did indeed score in the top 120. Others all have gained grammar places either at Tommies or HSFG. I can tell you honestly that all parents I know dream of their kids getting into Pates, not just want it, but dream about it. Bright kids i know who achieve well in primary and like to compete in sports and academically, who love art ( we were really impressed by Art at Pates) all want Pates. But again this is just my personal experience. We are based in Cheltenham and I know some parents who hoped for Pates but didnt get in, who now tell everyone that they never even wanted it and are happy at Tommies or HSFG. But it doesnt really matter does it? I also know they will try to catch up at 6th form and get in then. Also a good strategy.

I am sure I have not said anything new, just another person's experience shared and opinion voiced.
Congratulations to all your clever kids and good luck for September.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Welcome to the forum snowflakes.
Did you register just to get that off your chest lol.
Think that just about sums up our feelings too.
snowflakes

Post by snowflakes »

Thanks StJamesDad :-)..Thought i would add my 5p worth
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

FluffyCat wrote:'Like' for Sunflowers post.

Can we close the thread now and end on a positive note :) ?!
I agree!

:mrgreen:

and so on that positive note...
thread closed!