Dyslexia and 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lulu1

Dyslexia and 11+

Post by Lulu1 »

Hi

As there are so many helpful people online at the mo, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

DD1 has passed - yippee, so now thoughts are turning to DD2 who although only year 4 has already started asking when she will start tutoring (she knows that we put DD1's name down at an equivalent time to start in year 5).

DD2 is very bright and verbally articulate but is dyslexic. She can have 25% extra time and a reader in exams.

I have so many questions......

Do any of you have experience of our GS and SEN / dyslexic provision and does anyone know of a good tutor who has experience preparing a child with dyslexia for the 11+? (the tutors used for DD1 would not suit DD2's learning style),

Sorry to ramble.

Lulu
Papa1

Re: Dyslexia and 11+

Post by Papa1 »

Crumbs... that's an interesting one...
If you have a particular school in mind then why not phone them for a chat and ask if / how many Dyslexic pupils have come through the tests in the past and any advice they can offer.
They may even put you in touch with one or two families who can then perhaps advise you on the route they took and any suitable Tutors??
Perhaps also call the 'Tutor Companies' in your area and see what experience they have with Dyslexic pupils - in addition to any recommendations / word of mouth comments you receive on here, there's nothing better than calling them up directly for a conversation..?
Sorry I can't help any further...
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi lulu, well done to dd1, have no experience so will not comment on tutor/ exam but could DIY be an option?
Lulu1

Post by Lulu1 »

That's a really good thought that I hadn't considered.....

Mind you, I was a TA in her class for a year and delivered the intervention program - she nearly killed me then poor child. Imagine your mother working with you in class AND at home!!
Lulu1

Post by Lulu1 »

Papa1
I'm going to do just that, good idea. No way do I want to push her into something that's not for her, but equally, I can't put her off just because I know the road will be even harder!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Was just a thought as no one know her better than you
Lulu1

Post by Lulu1 »

Actually a really good one (possibly might up wine consumption - would have to have one BEFORE the work). I know many of us have children with dyslexia, it can be soooo frustrating that she may be better off with another adults input as well as mine. I will talk to her to see what she feels.
Thanks
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Lulu I will PM you.
sarajtb

Post by sarajtb »

Hi Lulu,

My DD is mildly dyslexic but was not allowed extra time in the 11+ because she was not in School Action Plus, despite getting extra time for SATS at primary. She was in School Action and that level does not get extra time. She didn't pass the 11+ and I believed it was because of her dyslexia. I appealed on that basis and she is now at SHS, where she is doing really well. Before appealing, I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing so I spoke to the Ed Psych who had assessed her and the SENCOs at both SHS and our other option and had some really good feedback from them. Her tutoring was no different from others but timing was always the issue.

Hope that helps in some way :)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

The criteria for additional time in the 11+ is agreed by a panel from the Grammars each year. I seem to remember that it changes so there is no guarantee of extra time being allowed (even if your primary allows it for SAT's, etc).
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now