starting infant school sept 2013 in Chelt or Glos

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DebP

starting infant school sept 2013 in Chelt or Glos

Post by DebP »

Sorry don't know where to ask and I know many of you will know the answer.

In sept my twins will start reception. Probably in Chelt but possibly Glos.

My question is: In Reception, do they do full days from the start of term, 9 to 3 ish?

If this sounds a strange question in the area I currently live children used to do 2 hours a day for the whole of the first term - How awful for parents!
This has now changed.
In reception they now start school in Mid-SEpt, 2 weeks after every one else. And then only go for 2 Hours per day until after the October half term.
capers123

Re: starting infant school sept 2013 in Chelt or Glos

Post by capers123 »

The primary my children went to had the new reception children in for 1/2 day for first term (or what many people would call an old 'half term'). This was non-negotiable and applied even if your children had been at a full time nursery / kindergaten that taught in a school-like manner...

I suspect it's fairly standard practice to gently settle the children into full time education.
Capers
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It will depend on the school. in ours the older half do mornings for a week or so , while the younger ones do afternoons, then lunchtimes are introduced, then full weeks.

Best to ask the school you are interested in. Few start them straight off with full days ( much to the disgust of my daughter who " expected school to be more interesting"
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Our local primary does full days from the start of reception, but they stagger entrance by age, with a new batch of 5 children joining every 4 days. This meant my DCs didn't start school until later September, but I didn't have to mess about with part-days!

Weaver
DebP

Post by DebP »

Thanks.
Interesting.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

My son's school was straight in with everyone starting full time (9 to 3) on the first day. This seemed to suit the older ones but my then 4 years and 3 days old son really struggled physically, educationally and mentally. Up until the day before he started, he was still napping in the afternoon. It was ridiculous IMHO.
DebP

Post by DebP »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:My son's school was straight in with everyone starting full time (9 to 3) on the first day. This seemed to suit the older ones but my then 4 years and 3 days old son really struggled physically, educationally and mentally. Up until the day before he started, he was still napping in the afternoon. It was ridiculous IMHO.
My oldest now 10 was the same at 4, still sleeping in the day - even though he did 4 full days at nursery and was the only child in his group. they made a special arrangement for him. Only 4 months later he started school but had just about given up his sleep then and so he managed find.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

DebP wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:My son's school was straight in with everyone starting full time (9 to 3) on the first day. This seemed to suit the older ones but my then 4 years and 3 days old son really struggled physically, educationally and mentally. Up until the day before he started, he was still napping in the afternoon. It was ridiculous IMHO.
My oldest now 10 was the same at 4, still sleeping in the day - even though he did 4 full days at nursery and was the only child in his group. they made a special arrangement for him. Only 4 months later he started school but had just about given up his sleep then and so he managed find.
You lucky things - our school couldn't care less (which is why we later moved him!). The right school can make a huge difference, even at that age. Glad you found an accomodating one.