New Panel Members for non-grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

capers123

New Panel Members for non-grammars

Post by capers123 »

The following was part of an email that came out today from Mary Thorne of Gloucestershire County Council - Democratic Services
We are in the process of trying to find new panel members to help with the School Admission Appeals and were wondering if you know of any one that may be interested . In particular we are looking for Parents from the following areas of the county. Stroud, Forest of Dean, Tewkesbury and the Cotswold. If you can ask them to email me I can send them a form. mary.thorne@gloucestershire.gov.uk
Democratic Services run the appeals for all non-academies where the LEA is the admissions authority (so not including VA schools), though they can be contracted in to run appeals for any school. Their main job is providing the legal framework and advice for the council & councillors and have no connection to the LEA (different legal teams & offices). They tend to be nice people who work there!

The appeals are usually heard in Shire Hall in Gloucester, travelling expenses are claimable, use of the council members private car park (or a refund of car park fees) and lunch (sandwiches, fruit, cake). You will be well trained, and sit on a panel with two experienced panel members to start with.

I'd encourage anyone with an interest to contact Mary.
Capers
stroudydad

Re: New Panel Members for non-grammars

Post by stroudydad »

Wish I had time..
Spiderling

Post by Spiderling »

Can you give some idea how much time this would involve?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Initial training is one day, top-up each year is 1/2 day. Then it's down to you - a tick sheet is sent round quarterly so you can say when you're available. In 2010 I sat for around 8 days, last year I sat on 2 days, this year so far 6. Appeals tend to be heard during the school day, to enable parents to attend after having dropped off children. Sometimes they finish at lunch time.

Some employers will allow paid special leave for appeals - similar to leave for magistrates or TA - as it's for the good of the community and it can give you extra skills.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now