Grammar School intake

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Superflygirl

Re: Grammar School intake

Post by Superflygirl »

Again ....... it was just a matter of interest ....... a question that had been running through my head.......as a stay at home mum of 11 year and 3 year old wouldn't have considered it as haven't the spare funding to even think about it...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Vio125 wrote: I suspect that the number of indep school children attending GS is likely to be increasing for a number of reasons:- we are in a recession (apparently coming out of), private school fees have gone up massively in the last 5 years (certainly more than inflation and salary increases) and the cost of secondary private education is significantly more than primary.

i suspect it has always been quite a high number coming from indie to state - for all the reasons you state. Don't think it is necessarily increasing !

You could also add that state GS are often more selective than some of the indies hence first choice for many of the parents, kids at private primaries (at least my kids) didn't do SATS and that it is nice to have a breather on the fee front between the age of 11 and the age of 18 when the bank account yet again goes into meltdown :wink:
Superflygirl

Post by Superflygirl »

and that it is nice to have a breather on the fee front between the age of 11 and the age of 18 when the bank account yet again goes into meltdown
Good honest answer. It's what I would have thought and would have done myself had we been in the position or not had decent schools around us. Am in much agreement that once they reach YR7, it's the matter of intelligence and not where they have previously gone to school.
DebP

Post by DebP »

I think Indie Prep schools vary so much.
I have noticed in the most affluent areas indie schools seem to be wanting children who will stay with them for their whole school life - And they do say this up front on their web site.

But like others mention.
The fees at senior are So very much higher than in junior school especially year 4 and below.

In fact for my younger children I am now thinking about State primary and then indie for years 3 - 4 - 5- and perhaps 6.

And then hopefully GS or a good comp at senior unless I come into some big money!!!

My local prep school actively teaches to 11+ and got fantastic results.
Most of the families really can't afford the senior school and probably more than half will go to state.
Then most of the kids at senior are a different group of kids
- many over seas,
some from super rich families,
and those who failed 11+ and their families want to get the best education possible. As of course, they offer small classes with great equipment
Sunflowers

Post by Sunflowers »

Guessing that almost half the DCs from our state primary tried 11+ and sounds like vast majority of them passed it, with 6 in (or very close to) Pate's top 120, few to Marling, few to various other Grammars, few on waiting lists...so not bad! No work specifically towards 11+ done in school. Seems that most families (including us) did get some help from private tutors, so system does seem unfair in that tutoring is very expensive and obviously cannot be managed by all. Realize is possible to do without a tutor...we did quite a bit of work with DS at home too. Wonder if many get through who haven't had tutoring or if any get through it without preparing much/ at all?
Magicmillie

Post by Magicmillie »

Think as our Indie caters for children up to year 8 they want you to stay so don't encourage the 11 plus. DD moved from state primary in yr 4 to indie on her request. Reception to year 3 were fantastic but year 4, when we were there, was known as the gap year! So DD gained a scholarship and has had 3 great years at indie. Senior indie totally out of our league in terms of affordability. DD self studied. She is quite determined, likes a challenge, is focused and most importantly, GS is where she wants to go. She did really well in her 11 plus and has a good chance of getting in. Don't know if she would have done better if she had a tutor. Probably not. Towards the end she got fed up with it and motivation levels were truly tested so tutoring may have just given her more structure towards the end. Who knows, done and dusted now!
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

Sunflowers wrote:system does seem unfair in that tutoring is very expensive and obviously cannot be managed by all. Realize is possible to do without a tutor...we did quite a bit of work with DS at home too.
I don't think that £20 a week for (perhaps) 10 sessions could be considered 'very expensive', especially when you think of the advantages a GS provides.

But I do agree that tutors aren't necessary: VR tutoring can easily be done at home - provided you have the right relationship with your child !
capers123

Post by capers123 »

PaterGloucester wrote:VR tutoring can easily be done at home - provided you have the right relationship with your child !
AND the right skills.

Our DD's both tend to get very stressed if we offer advice. DD2 even gets wound up if she's asked for advice and we give it - unless we're standing next to each other in an orchestral scenario, where we tend to treat each other as fellow musicians with me being the principal with more experience.
Capers
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

I'm not a musician but both my DH and myself are "academic". I like to think, at the moment, I stand there as the "principal" in VR :D
Obviously I am very mindful, especially if my DC's chose areas that I am not familiar with, that this may not be for long!
I am very pro DIY, and also not doing too much or for too long but I think it is shortsighted to do nothing. No one would enter into any situation in life without some preparation.
I did however really get the wobbles about one week before the test when I overheard other parents talking about tutors and start to wonder if I wasn't giving my child the best start in life.

And no, Pater, £20 is not much, especially when you notice the price of fags and a nice bottle of plonk. (for the record I don't smoke!)
sandman

Post by sandman »

I did however really get the wobbles about one week before the test when I overheard other parents talking about tutors and start to wonder if I wasn't giving my child the best start in life.
Yes, very frightening isn't it?

We decided to look through all this type up chatter and ignored it (as best we could!) If our two were good enough, then so be it- it took courage. In total our two did about 10 papers, BUT it did work out. Anyway, neither of them wanted tutoring, just experience at what type of questions they may get asked. When they heard what some parents had spent............