Telegraph - Grammar School Tests to be made Tutor-proof

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dr.watson

Re: Telegraph - Grammar School Tests to be made Tutor-proof

Post by dr.watson »

I don't think other primaries outside Kent are allowed as well.
Vio125

Post by Vio125 »

It very much depends on the Head at the school. They are certainly not able to include VR work within the usual school day as this is not within the National Curriculum and I am not sure how they would find the time. I do know of state primaries that include VR work in the lunch break or after school. There is a school in Stroud that does VR work - the Head suggested stopping - I think he/she had a riot on their hands! I am also aware of a large junior school in a suburb of Gloucester that does VR work outside of the usual school day. No idea how long for, whether parents pay etc.. They seem to get a fair number of chilldren into grammar school.
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

Great. I think there should be thread for that. I would like to know the name of these primaries who have some CR work going on at their location.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

A study published last month revealed that one-in-seven places at state grammars are taken by pupils who have transferred in from fee-paying schools.

Research by Prof David Jesson, from York University’s department for economics, found that at 25 grammars, at least 30 per cent of places went to former private school pupils.

Just read article again. Maths not being my strong point but doesn't this mean that for the one-in-seven places "taken" by fee-paying students, 6 are taken by state schools. Also, that the 30 per cent of places that went to former private school pupils, 70 per cent did not? Not really a complete takeover by indie kids surely?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi Stressed, those figures seem not to add up (1 in 7 is about 15%),Or have I misread?
Last edited by stroudydad on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Not really a complete takeover by indie kids surely?
But disproportionate - around 5.5% of primary pupils in independent schools (source) - or 1 in 18. Considering that a lot of those will choose to stick with the independent sector for secondary too, and not even apply for state grammar schools, then 1 in 7 places going to this group is significant.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Our school has above average ability children and so children in the bottom group in our school may well feature middle or top group elsewhere. Due to demographics most of the children who are going for grammars are either tutored at home or professionally. Last year, despite this still quite a few didn't get in.

I feel the Gloucestershire method of VR testing is as tutor proof as it can be. Only the most able seem to pass the test.

I think parents need to search their heart of hearts and ultimately I think they will decide on the correct school for their child.

I think 10 is very young to decide a child's path. I didn't pass to get into SHS when I was 10 and went to a comp, after 3 years I was top of the school and went to RHHS where the aspirations and assumptions led me to gain a degree and have a professional qualification, I don't believe this would have been the outcome if I had stayed at the comp I was at. So, did I go to the right school age 11 ? did VR get it right? no, absolutely not ! I wasn't tutored, I didn't even know what I was sitting. We have this system in our county and so as parents we have to take a responsible approach. Perhaps the LEA should try to improve our local comps and then we wouldn't all be trying for grammars or travelling far and wide to better comps. My mum wasn't bothered where I went so it's great to see so many parents on here considering the best school and taking such interest, I wish my mum had at the time.

Follow your hearts and hopefully fate will play its part :)
Last edited by Sunshine 11 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
qip001

Post by qip001 »

My DD attends a good state primary. Only 4 kids took the test out of 60 year 6s, which is a shame as some of them are very clever kids, but thier parents do not see Grammar way as the best way for them.
We have gone to a tutor once a week for a few months before the test. £22 well spent i would say. We have postponed other activities for the duration of tuition and now will be resuming those. Usually a few lessons is enough for a clever kid, if you need more you should think if this is going to backfire later on. I honestly do not think we should be relying on schools in 11+ prep, indie school is also not a guarantee of a pass. Parents determination and support is the answer I think.
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

How much does an independent school cost?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

dr.watson wrote:How much does an independent school cost?
it depends on the school, it can vary enormously
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now