How well is bullying handled in our schools ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
neveragain*

Re: How well is bullying handled in our schools ?

Post by neveragain* »

Most of you know that my eldest DD experienced this type of relational bullying from year 9 to 12.
She has always been different, quirky and very much herself.....and that brings pros and cons.
The girls that have been described in the forum are exactly the ones this made her school life ****, and teachers were blind to it.
She is now in year 13, has lovely friends at last and is off to uni next year. Her confidence has grown again, and she has learnt so much, but in such a hard way.
She knows she can now be " paranoid" about exclusion and watches her own responses to feeling left out, and will talk about it.
I'm so proud if how well she has coped and furious that she has had to. It is an awfu, thing to go through as a family. It tears at your heart so I empathise with all of you who are currently experiencing it.
Professionally I have often seen bullies, and the bullied.
When I speak to the parents of the bulles, often things become a little clearer........... :roll:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Wrt bullying in primary schools, do you think having lunchtime supervisors on duty instead of teaching staff makes a difference? I have heard several kids complaining, including my own, that "they never do anything". The teachers tell the children to tell the lunchtime supervisors and they, in turn, are left trying to deal with children who have no respect for them. Maybe that's why they rarely see the manipulative in action. Just a thought. It would be great to hear from someone who has to deal with the playground stuff every day.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

KS10 wrote:Wrt bullying in primary schools, do you think having lunchtime supervisors on duty instead of teaching staff makes a difference? I have heard several kids complaining, including my own, that "they never do anything". The teachers tell the children to tell the lunchtime supervisors and they, in turn, are left trying to deal with children who have no respect for them. Maybe that's why they rarely see the manipulative in action. Just a thought. It would be great to hear from someone who has to deal with the playground stuff every day.
My son told both teaching staff and lunchtime supervisors daily that he was being punched whilst behind the climbing frames, so I don't think it matters which one it is. Each day he was not taken seriously, even when crying and left feeling stupid (his words). During my (heated) conversation with the head, he admited that the climbing area was a hot spot but said that there weren't the staff to supervise it. I told him that in his position I would be out there with my mug of tea at break times sorting them out. Not received well!
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

The head at the Primary my children went to would have been out there with her mug of tea. She also sat and had lunch with the children and was in the playground to greet people in the morning. And that is why it was such a brilliant school. I moved my children from a school that I thought very weak in pastoral (and academic) areas and never looked back. The head sets the tone.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

I wish some secondary heads would pay attention to the issues we have been talking about. Some schools have let a culture of relational bullying develop and it spoils life for lots of pupils.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Just in relation to lunchtime supervision for primary. It is difficult as if an incident happens the teacher/supervisor has to deal with it which may take them inside e.g. head injury requiring ice pack.

Our school has recently introducted "Happy Helpers" these are Y5 and Y6 children who wear a bright tabard and can be consulted if there is a dis agreement which needs sorting etc, this means the lunchtime supervisors are not distracted and can keep an overall watch. The "Happy Helpers" love the responsibility and have been trained in how to deal with different issues, if not resolved they are taken to teacher or supervisor to resolve.

I would hope all schools are taking part in anti-bullying week and raising awareness, if not, ask why !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Amber's idea about this thread, or part of it, being moved to a more prominent area is a great one imo.
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

KS10 wrote:Amber's idea about this thread, or part of it, being moved to a more prominent area is a great one imo.
Possibly. I began it with specific reference to local (ie Gloucestershire) schools on the assumption that that the broader elements of this topic would be covered elsewhere.

But if Mods think the discussion would not be diluted by being moved, then why not ?
Amber

Post by Amber »

PaterGloucester wrote:
KS10 wrote:Amber's idea about this thread, or part of it, being moved to a more prominent area is a great one imo.
Possibly. I began it with specific reference to local (ie Gloucestershire) schools on the assumption that that the broader elements of this topic would be covered elsewhere.

But if Mods think the discussion would not be diluted by being moved, then why not ?
Sorry if you wanted to confine it to the Gloucester grammars PG. My experience, notwithstanding that I would obviously prefer my children not to be bullied, has been that one GS is brilliant at handling it. I think though that the issue of bullying isn't just about schools, and parents need to acknowledge and tackle their responsibilities head on. That is perhaps why the topic went 'off track' so quickly (mea culpa).
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's certainly an important topic.

We could move it somewhere else, and leave a 'shadow' here in Glos. - but where do we move it to?
General 11+? Everything else?

Does the forum need a 'pastoral care' section? :idea:

:?:
Etienne