So, at the end of first term - feelings re new schools?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Re: So, at the end of first term - feelings re new schools?

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Amber, and Stroudydad, for your opinions.

Dh (who isn't usually very interested in the Eleven Plus Forum unless it's to look at photos :) ) thinks it is wrong and divisive to have such expensive trips. I agree. We pay £1,000 for half our annual holiday for all six of us, to put it into perspective - for us. Everyone's different. You might buy a brand new car - we'd rather have our old car and a holiday, for example.

Of course, I bet the trip will be fantastic (well, I hope so!)

I think itineraries are ok for school trips, but spontaneity on family holidays is brilliant. I really dislike the idea (although I have never been on one so can't totally judge) of an organised holiday, like H**** holidays, where there is constant entertainment and babysitting.

You're right, Amber. My dd2 won't be deprived. I'm a hypocrite. She's going on a 5 day residential doing outdoor pursuits, in July, that's about £300. I shall remind her of that for years.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

dr.watson wrote:These trips do seem very costly. Do the schools provide a break-up how they arrive at the cost? I don't think they put the kids up in 5 star hotels. Can these cost be challenged?
The hotels mentioned do look very nice 4 star - I stayed at one of the possible hotels in my previous life -full time job -before children - it is a very nice hotel. I just don't understand the need to go so far. I also think the kids that would benefit most from such school trips/ enrichment activities are the ones least likely to be able to go.

I went to a private school on a scholarship for my A levels and we had a ski trip to Scotland and stayed in a hostel- and yes we did get have snow- plenty as I recall.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Should have called this thread, so at the end of the first term, how are you feeling about the trips your school offers? :lol:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Sorry Neveragain. X
ginx

Post by ginx »

Neveragain, do you think there are lots of school trips that cost about £1,000? I'm not sure what would convince me to pay that much ... I'd really like to hear about any other school trips.

Good thing you didn't call this "first term of year six". Would have plenty of negative things to say. :( So year 7, Happyland, where dc do homework, sounds perfect. :)
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

ginx wrote:Neveragain, do you think there are lots of school trips that cost about £1,000? I'm not sure what would convince me to pay that much ... I'd really like to hear about any other school trips.

depends on the location - http://www.kefw.bham.sch.uk/ke/extra_cu ... ned_visits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

edit
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ginx

Post by ginx »

FluffyCat, £430 sounds reasonable to me. But we couldn't miss our family holiday for anything. We live for them. Love them. The most relaxing, fun, interesting, exciting part of the year. Even dc agree.
Dr Watson, thanks for the info. re trips. They don't look too expensive and not many for year 7.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Two quick things. Couldn't be happier to have chosen Tommies. It's worked out so well. As to trips we were given a list of probable trips up to year 13 with approx costs, at the first parents evening.
ginx

Post by ginx »

RedVelvet, have no idea what/where Tommies is!

Being given a list of trips plus costs was a good idea. Don't know if it happens at our school, assuming we get there ...