CEM Tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Re: CEM Tests

Post by stroudydad »

The children may be older but they will have had no preparation for this test so there would be a certain amount of offset for many. My DS said he felt the questions were fine, but and loved actually like that some of it felt more like 'school work'. He loved the Maths sections, but did say he didn't like the fact that there were quite a few possible answers, and if he were to do a test again he would have no problem finishing it on time.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

edit
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

this is pretty depressing. ds takes test in oct 2013

dd1 in oct 15 and then dd2 possibly 2017

I have just got to grips with all that is required and bought the books etc (we are DIY ing)

will have to start all over again for dd.

Mind you, ds is amazing at codes etc, and dd would much prefer a comprehension passage, so....
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

I'm just thinking ahead to 2014 and wondering if anyone knows what my DD and I could be doing now to prepare for the potential transfer over to CEM tests. I know very little about them and don't know where to start. We already read alot and discuss unknown words etc but I'm sure we should be covering other areas to. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Apologies for my spelling mistake, should have said "too" not "to". If I expect so much from my children I should be setting a good example :lol:
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

Littlebaker, do you know that the schools are definately changing the tests?
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Hi NancyB, no I don't know for sure but the feeling on here was that it would change as the GS were trialling the CEM tests. I can't think why they would do that unless they planned to go down that route. I don't think it applies to this year but my DD will be taking the exam in 2014 and I am concerned for her and would like to start, not necessarily preparing but, looking at what is involved so that she and I have an idea as to what she will be facing.
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

You could get guidance looking at the Birmingham Grammar schools.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Hi dr watson and thanks for your suggestion. The Birm forum had been mentioned before so I'll have to start looking at two regions instead of just one :shock: It's hard enough getting to grips with Gloucs VR without simultaneously studying the Birmingham forum. I remember you said before that your DS passed for the Birmingham grammars aswell as Pates, did he mention anything about the CEM test that he took for Birmingham, did he find it harder/simpler/better/worse in any way?
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

Yes it was harder as there is lot more to study. He has to prepare for English, Maths, Verbal and Non-Verbal. He scored 238 (Verbal 124 and NVR + Maths 114) and their best school had cut off was 234. Non-verbal for parents is also trickier to teach. In the exam there was no English out of the 4 and they keep rotating these subjects.

The highest candidate got 285. Lowest 122 and Avg was 200.