D.DAY - Accepting Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum23*

Re: D.DAY - Accepeting Schools

Post by mum23* »

Now we know who the one person will be who can afford the ski trip next year! :roll:

I'm with the chaps about the OP. Plonker!
GailJ

Post by GailJ »

paddywins wrote:son has an offer from STR - 221 - but not Crypt. Do we get offered our first choice and that is it? Someone please explain...we applied for STR and Crypt - off for a months skiing as the school fees end in July! :wink:
Well done and well done to DC. Please ignore negative posts!!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I think paddywins has been well and truly told off. Can we leave him alone now please? Possibly thoughtless, but it was his first post.
Amber

Post by Amber »

KS10 wrote:I think paddywins has been well and truly told off. Can we leave him alone now please? Possibly thoughtless, but it was his first post.
+1.

I agree about the skiing too, KS10. Been once, that will do for me.
fizzy_pop

Post by fizzy_pop »

There was a strand on here about being a friendly forum and asking the question about why people don't want to post. Those who're having a go at Paddywins might want to take a look at it as there are some quite mean spirited responses here. :evil:

I suspect the question is about 1st and 2nd choices and lots of people don't understand how the system works. it is complicated and the indie sector don't do any communication about t as they want kids to stay in the school all they way through.

As for the skiing comment, as someone who's in the same position it is a relief knowing that you don't have to find several £1000 each term for fees etc. I suspect skiing is a joke.

My DS is making the same move and he is delighted and really excited to be going to STRS. The school was his choice over his current Indy and not paying fees is a relief.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi fizzy pop, I notice you also only joined today?? May I ask why you have never joined or posted before? I am assuming you have not stumbled upon this place today..? My personal feeling is that the OP was at the least I'll advised, and possibly plain arrogant.. As you will have seen there are disappointed people here today, i would suggest we worry as a community more about those than the people who have got everything they wanted. The first post in the Warwickshire results thread sums things up pretty well.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

I am usually a very polite poster and do not try to upset people or hurt their feelings. I do not regularly "have a go" at others and nor do the people you think are being critical (they have all been on here a long time and given people lots of support and encouragement). I logged on to see how people got on, on what I know to be a stressful day for some and was taken aback that the first post did in fact appear to be from someone spending their "saved" school fees on a months ski-ing holiday. I am not sorry for what I said and I don't need to be told off thanks.
fizzy_pop

Post by fizzy_pop »

Hmm... Actually SD I used to post as fizzypop but my profile got messed up (or rather my brain failed to recall the right login details) when I changed to my new laptop. I pop back now and then but a lot of this isn't relevant to the here and now of my family. With only 1 DC, I will go through this process just once.

I do feel for those who didn't get what they wanted. But their lives aren't over. As someone who has never been given a cent in my life that I didn't work for and attended a majorly failing school I know not getting the school of choice isn't the end of their prospects if they choose to work for success regardless of where they end up. I think there is an onus on parents to make sure DC understand this and help them feel positive about where they will go to school. Not that it is a disaster for the DC that will affect the rest of their lives. Because if they believe that and internalise it, it probably will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Plus I don't feel that someone who is happy with the outcome today, whose DS worked hard should be got at. I don't begrudge people their success.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 79#p363918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Do you mean this one? I agree, and it's so polite. Surely posting this link and a gentle reminder would have sufficed?
See below:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ?f=9&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Name-calling?
I guess nobody likes being told off.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

There is some real unpleasantness on this thread, and I think everyone would do well to take a step back from it.

The Mods are in no mood for this sort of thing on 1st March, and people are likely to find themselves being banned temporarily to keep them out from under our feet.

FWIW, I also read the OP's comments about skiing as a joke.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now