Marling School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Re: Marling School

Post by stroudydad »

Hi steppemum, I don't have the info for 2012, but 2035 registered for the oct 2011 test, the pass mark would have been set with reference to those 2035, so it is relatively safe to say less than a thousand would achieved a qualifying score( anyone please correct me if I am wrong), a proportion of which would have selected indie or comp as their first choice. As there are approx 800 GS places the number missing out really isn't that high..(assuming they all shared with all GS)
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

Orson wrote:So Marling are trying to tap up boys who've opted for Crypt (having rejected them in October) :roll: That tells a tale.

I know of a Stroud based boy who chose Crypt as his first choice After 1/3 said boy allocated Crypt place and then a few days later contacted by Marling to see whether parents would consider changing their mind! Are they allowed to do this, what if parents had said yes, how would that work? Could it be that Marling couldn't fill their 120 places with boys they had allocated a pass to? I know they went down into the 290's this year! I didn't know they allocated rankings that low and I don't think boys have got into the school before so far down the list? My thoughts are the rise in Crypt's reputation and success is causing Marling to suffer with Stroud based boys now considering Crypt when in previous years this wouldn't have occured. I can confirm though, Marling have been trying to 'tap up' boys who haven't made them their 1st choice. Any others know whether this occurs often?
bobbym

Post by bobbym »

Dixon wrote:
Orson wrote:So Marling are trying to tap up boys who've opted for Crypt (having rejected them in October) :roll: That tells a tale.

I know of a Stroud based boy who chose Crypt as his first choice After 1/3 said boy allocated Crypt place and then a few days later contacted by Marling to see whether parents would consider changing their mind! Are they allowed to do this, what if parents had said yes, how would that work? Could it be that Marling couldn't fill their 120 places with boys they had allocated a pass to? I know they went down into the 290's this year! I didn't know they allocated rankings that low and I don't think boys have got into the school before so far down the list? My thoughts are the rise in Crypt's reputation and success is causing Marling to suffer with Stroud based boys now considering Crypt when in previous years this wouldn't have occured. I can confirm though, Marling have been trying to 'tap up' boys who haven't made them their 1st choice. Any others know whether this occurs often?
I've heard rumours of this happening but nothing concrete.

Don't want to hijack this thread but my ears did prick up at "Stroud based boy" and Crypt. A couple of us are trying to organise transport from Stroud/Nailsworth to Crypt/Ribston - if said boy's family are interested there's a thread on here... thanks
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Thanks StroudyDad, It is interesting to see the statistics. I simply hadn't realised how far down the lists they went, so it is good to get a feel for the situation.

I guess passing is the first hurdle...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now