Marling School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Re: Marling School

Post by stroudydad »

Dixon wrote:Steppemum_ Yes it's the ranking I was quoting. Top 120 ranks for school are guaranteed a place at theschool as long as you select it as your first choice. The further down the rankings the less chance you have of getting a place. I had never heard of a 280's rank gettting a place at marling before. It goes to show you should never give up. In comparison Pates only went down to 134 this year. Has this ever stayed so high?

I would suggest that Pate's staying so high and marling going so low are probably linked (maybe with STRS and Crypt links in the chain too) it's all caused by sharing...
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

steppemum wrote:I hadn't realised that the rankings were given out so far (280 is an enormous amount of kids!0

I also hadn't realised how many of those further down the rankings still got in (I guess I thought maybe 10-20 kids after the 120)

Changes the way you fill in the forms I guess.
The kids in the top 120 for Marling are probably also in the top 120 for Pate's, Tommies and probably Crypt. They can't take a place at more than one school!

Most parents tick more tha one box in the 'share my results' section.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

So of the children who pass the exam and apply to GS, how many do you think in the end DON'T get in?
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

steppemum wrote:So of the children who pass the exam and apply to GS, how many do you think in the end DON'T get in?

Every year is different and so to give an accurate answer would be impossible. Every school is different and so it would be good to know what school you're hoping for? Pates ranked the top 180 this year and only accepted down to 134 so there are many kids that missed out. That's not to say they weren't accepted into another GS. Last year Crypt actually accepted children that were a point under their pass mark because they had some spaces left after the initial allocation. That wasn't the case this year most probably due to their ofsted report and the knock on effect could have been why Marling went lower than usual. (and the fiasco with not initially ranking and then when parents wanted a look around the school after results were published, refusing!)
Pates you don't want to be too far out of the top 120, Crypt a pass usually means a place and Marling 240/250 with it lower this year. I'm sure others will give their thoughts on other GS's but next year it could be different again.
I'm so glad I'm now finished with the process of the 11+ or whatever the new exam will be. Good luck!
Orson

Post by Orson »

So Marling are trying to tap up boys who've opted for Crypt (having rejected them in October) :roll: That tells a tale.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Orson what do you mean by that comment?? I don't understand your thinking?
Vio125

Post by Vio125 »

I understand that last year Pates went to 160. People do not always take the place offered from 1 March. There will be people with scholarships to private schools who turn down Pates and people may move away. Pates will then offer places lower down on the list and if those children have places in other grammars this will release places for other children who have passed, but not with a score high enough to get them in on the first round. Unsure whether the Times state school of the year may have had an impact on people taking their places, I cannot remember if this was before or after 31 October?
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Dixon. I was thinking a bit more broadly actually, more wondering of all the kids across the county who pass the 11 +, I wonder how many in the end go to GS and how many don't get a place anywhere?
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

I think I read somewhere in the forum that around 4K children sat in the Gloucester exams this year. If there are 7 schools with 120 seats, so there will be around 3K children missing out this year.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

wow that is a lot of disappointed kids.

But if 4K sat - how many pass?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now