STRS new intake 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Busyb

STRS new intake 2013

Post by Busyb »

Not familiar with STRS or know parents of DSs who have accepted places. Thought it would be good if we could use this to share useful info in the lead up to them starting at STRS in 2013.
Last edited by Busyb on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Re: STRS new intake 2013

Post by Amber »

Not starting this year but I have sons in years 7 and 9 . You won't be disappointed and should be rejoicing that Matthew Morgan is the new head. Onward and upward!
Busyb

Post by Busyb »

Thanks for the reassurance Amber. It is concerning when there's change of Leadership. I'm hoping they make a great deputy appointment too!
fizzy_pop

Post by fizzy_pop »

My DS has accepted his place this morning and is really excited so very happy to compare notes and share info.

The two boys over the road both attend there and LOVE it.

DS loved it over the other grammars we looked at (preferred it to Pates) and choose it over staying on at his current school.

DH was really impressed in the programme they run in Y7 to integrate the new pupils into the school and help ensure they make friends and put down roots. (I think he fancied some of the trips himself :wink: )

Like I said we all really happy with his allocation and looking forward to September :D
mcs

Post by mcs »

Well done to your son Busyb. I have boy in year 10, who still loves it at Tommies. We are all really pleased that Matthew Morgan is our new head. A good way to get to know people is to sign up for the refreshments rota and the PA. You'll only be called on to serve refreshments at a couple of events each year and it's always very friendly. The PA work very hard at raising funds and resposibilities range from 'committee member' to 'foot soldier' (that's me). They're always looking for new members and you can be as active as your time/energy permits.
Busyb

Post by Busyb »

Thanks fizzypop and mcs. DS is very excited too, despite being the only one from his primary going to STRS. Bring on the induction day!
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Busyb my boy was the only one from his primary, but it has been such a great year! The yr 7 induction programme is excellent, the emphasis is on the boys getting to know each other and support each other. If you are around the science summer school is good too

Also another family happy with the new head.
Parismum

Post by Parismum »

Hi Busyb, my son is in Year 8 at STRS and very happy. He was one of only 2 boys from his school and he didn't know the other boy well, but I agree with previous posts that their pastoral system is excellent and has really made a difference to my DS, partly due to Mr Morgan's help with an issue last year. You will be invited to an open morning now that you have your place, which will make all the difference to your son feeling part of things, I'm sure. Mr Daniell, Head of Year 7 is still worshiped in my house - have a quick chat with him on the open morning if you can, he will make your DS feel really at home. And yes, the Science days are fab. I know of a few boys going this year who are the only ones from their school, so he won't be alone in that. Congratulations to your DS and best of luck.
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Hi All, my DS is in year 9 and very happy at STRS. The year 7 Induction programme is excellent; highly recommend the science summer school at the end of the year 6 school summer holidays. It is an opportunity for the boys to come into school for a couple of days before the new term starts, meet others in their year and get a feeling for the school when none of the older pupils are there.
My son found year 7 quite intense but when we spoke to his form tutor and to Mr Daniell (head of year) they were both very reassuring and really went out of their way to address our concerns.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Just to echo that - we have found the pastoral care to be excellent. It takes quite a lot to impress me on that score and we have been amazed at the level of support when it has been needed.

The school is a bit rough round the edges, which for us is great as we don't feel it's quite as 'ivory towers' as it could be. But when you need help, it is right there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now