Choosing a primary school in Gloucestershire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gurdjieff

Choosing a primary school in Gloucestershire

Post by Gurdjieff »

Hello everyone

I'm new to this site, and I feel rather silly for registering as my eldest is only 2.....but maybe this will explain why. We're moving to Gloucestershire, probably Stroud (probably a village within 5 miles of Stroud or so), or possibly Cheltenham. The only reason why I thought I'd post on here is that we don't want to move again for a while - at least ten years if possible. So wherever we move to we will need a primary school for two young boys. I've looked at countless Ofsted reports and searched everywhere for the really good primaries, but one thing I don't really know is which ones are known as being particularly good for pupils looking to get into one of the grammars. In fact I have no idea how important the school is compared to the home environment. So I'd appreciate some wisdom on both of those things.

I am well aware, of course, that things will change considerably in the next ten years - how could they not? But I think it's wise to at least think about this.

thanks

Gurdjieff

ps I'm also well aware that my children are statistically most likely to be around the average, and therefore not Grammar school material. But in case they are bright, I'd like to think I'd made the right choice for them.
DC17C

Re: Choosing a primary school in Gloucestershire

Post by DC17C »

My experience is that Gloucester primary schools do get involved with grammar school entry and it is left up to parents to prepare their children if that is what they want DIY with past papers or tuition. My children have done very well in a smallish primary in Hucclecote Gloucester and a few took the test some passed others did not. DD took test last yr and got GS place DS did test this year and did not( so far- as still to appeal) Both high level of attainment thoughout school and level 5/6 in yr6.

The most important thing about the school for me was both children were very happy there and there is a great atmosphere about the place. This was mostly due to an outstanding headteacher and sadly she has now moved on and I am not sure how the school will be in the future. Probably still very good but you never know a lot can change in a short space of time.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

For me at primary age I want my children to be happy and settled and have a good attitude to school. As DC17C says a lot depends on the head. Our previous head was fantastic, and supportive of grammar schools. Our current head, like most, offers no support on grammar schools but my children are still thriving and happy.

In your situation I would make sure I was in catchment for a good non-selective secondary, find a primary with an atmosphere and ethos that suits your family and then enjoy all the joys that toddlers bring. You're in this for the long haul!
Gurdjieff

Post by Gurdjieff »

Thanks Red Velvet and DC17C

That sounds like good sense to me, and that's pretty much the rationale. How many kids get in to the Grammar schools from a school like Hucclecote? Or indeed Rodborough, or Bisley, or Uley? I have it in my head that it must be something like a quarter?

I got into grammar myself years ago, but from private primary school (which I cannot afford for my children). I have a sense that even though the gap between state and private is still there in terms of achievement/intake, state primaries have got hugely better than they used to be.

If anyone has nay experience of Rodborough, Chalford Hill, Amberley, Minchinhampton etc then let me know what they're like...

thanks

Gurdjieff
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Most of the Stroud area village schools are pretty good and there are children at the Grammar Schools from them all. Minch, Rodborough, Woodchester, Chalford, Thrupp, Kings Stanley, Eastington, Frampton. These are all nice villages, small ish schools with a good sense of community. Of course you will pay more for property in all of these villages. Nailsworth is a bigger school and rapidly improving. That's a nice town.

Much depends on the head teacher.
Best thing to do is read all their prospectuses. Some are church based with a Christian focus, bear this in mind. They have different facilities in terms of space, playgrounds, garden etc. You could start looking at Playgroups, which often feed in to the primary schools. You will be ready for those soon.

The primary schools don't prepare them for the eleven plus exam you will have to help with that, or pay a tutor.

Good Luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now