help - DIY ing and stuck

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

steppemum

help - DIY ing and stuck

Post by steppemum »

Hi, I am DIY ing, following the help on here. Ds is a reluctant student (although he does work properly at it once he has got going.)

I started DIY just to see, and he did really well. We worked through the IPS Method and Technique, and he didn't want/need me to explain anything. He would say Mum- just let me do it! and read the example given and then do all the examples in the starter series practice book, without help and getting 95% right.

This lulled me into a false sense of security! We are now working through the practice papers at the end of the method and technique book and it is really hard going. For a start, he is very, very slow. (he was quite fast doing the practice examples before) So the thirty minute tests take twice that long. He is getting stuck on different sets, then as soon as we look at them together he gets it.

I got the bond 10 minute papers to do some quick practice (he likes the idea of quick practice!) again he is very slow, the 10 minutes is more like 30, and not because he is messing around.
There seem to be question types in here that are not in the VR techniques book, and they are hard.
eg: find a word that is similar in meaning and rhymes with the the second word
DEFEND detect answer - protect.

I don't really know what to do now. I am a bit over whelmed by all the different material on offer and don't know which is going to help us.
I need him to speed up, and recognise the types more easily, so he doesn't get stuck on a whole section.
He find the ones where you have to move a letter from one word to the other to make 2 new words, really hard.
On the plus side, he is really good at all the codes and does the z types very quickly.

When we first started he did the short on-line taster test that is linked on here, and he got 100% but took 40 minutes instead of 30. I thought that was a good sign that he could do this, maybe I am deluding myself?

Do we just need to do more and more of them until he is fluent? if so, what do I get, lots of them seem to be packs of only 4 tests, which is going to work out very expensive. Doesn't that get boring too?
I have tried to do vocab building etc with him, but it is like pulling teeth, because 'the deal' was 11+ prep, which in his eyes doesn't include vocab!

We started in January, we are out of county and only really decided to try for it then, and I am a complete novice, and just wondering if I can do this, or if I need to find a tutor. (not easy to find an experienced 11+ tutor where we are, and they are all going to be booked up aren't they?)

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Guest55

Re: help - DIY ing and stuck

Post by Guest55 »

Which 11+ are you preparing for?
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

sorry, should have said
Glos, 2 VR papers
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Different areas have different tests, and use different types of questions. So where you are will have a bid bearing on what he needs to practice. It may be that some of the question types you are worrying about aren't relevant for the exams you are aiming for. I will move your post to the Gloucestershire area forum, so that those with local knowledge will be able to see it and advise you.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I would say practice makes faster. When is the test? My two DSs increased in speed incredibly in the last few months, going from barely finishing half the paper in early July to completing with plenty of time for checking in late September. This was Bucks (2 VR papers).

There are also some Tutors short papers on here (20 questions?) which we found useful. The level 3 ones were quite easy, but good for confidence building, but the level 4 ones were quite a jump.

Have a look at Patricia's DIY thread:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Hi, we're in exactly the same boat. In fact you could be me. It's creating unnecessary pressure in our house and rather than upping the work I'm considering having a break. I see no point in push push push. My DS thinks he knows his own mind and there's really only so much a mum/dad can do. Step back for a few weeks, it's only just May and he might be fed up. Take a little break then have another go. We're also out of county and tutoring would be pointless as local tutors have no idea of the GS exam needs so I'm also diying/dying?! If you want to chat feel free to pm me. We have a DD a year behind our DS and we don't even know what exam she'll face in 2014!. So much pressure/worry/fretting is not good for family life.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Bond papers are not appropriate for the Glos 11+ in 2013. The materials you need are on Patricia's thread linked to above, and the only questions that he needs to practice are the 21 types that appear in the IPS books.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

thanks,
I am using Patricia's guidance, so I guess I need to go back and buy some more of the tests she recommends.

I am really reassured scarymum that you dcs sped up so much in the last few months. Test is first weekend in October.

Littlebaker, I am not sure that we have done enough to take a break! We started in jan, and started with once a fortnight, so I am starting to panic a bit about how little we have done. I do get reassured about that when I read Patricia's guide though.
I will pm you
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

I would not have thought taking a break was going to help personally.
Think you need to take a look at all aspects and come up with a new plan to get from now until Oct.

How does your DS feel about going to GS? Does he want to go, or would just like to go? If he really wants it its half the battle won.
Dont forget to let him chill out a bit immediately prior to the exam day.
Mock exams would be a good idea, even if you are doing all the tutoring yourself.

Its as important that he is in the right frame of mind and knows exactly what to expect on the day, as it is that he knows the answers.
So many DC seemed to fall apart and not even be able to answer every question.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Have just read your other post about your DS not wanting to go to GS.
If I am really honest it seems you are fighting an uphill battle.
You mentioned girls. What has he said about going to an all boys school?

I hope he gets in and your feelings that he will thrive in the environment come to pass.
Don't take this the wrong way, but have you considered bribery?
A straight, you get in, you get this kind of thing, but do not get in and no prize.
Just a thought.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now