Open Morning experience

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
littlebaker

Open Morning experience

Post by littlebaker »

I wasn't sure about posting this but thought it might to be interesting to hear other people's experiences of the Pate's Open Mornings. We went this week and I have to say my DS and I have never, ever been so bored. We just kept walking down endless corridors of lockers. "Would you like to see Humanities or Maths?" asked our guides, "What's Humanities?" asked my DS "Err..." came the reply - hence I had to explain to my DS what Humanities was :shock: Apparently we were heading for Humanities or English or Music or this or that but I couldn't tell the difference as we didn't see any work or pupils or teachers. There were no students in the classrooms just chairs on desks. I saw thousands of blue lockers and a bit of art hung from the ceiling - nothing else. DS was not impressed and hasn't mentioned it since and neither have I.

The Head's speech at the end lasted about 40 mins and was too much for the kids (and some adults) to bear, it just went on and on and on. There were about 10 people on the stage with him and he just kept rolling them out to extole the virtues of the school. After speaker no. 3 the realisation that they were all going to get up filled me with dread as it was all so repetitive and I just wanted to get out. Loads of snazzy catchphrases on a huge whiteboard and lots of talk from heads of departments but nothing inspiring or interesting or new. My DS was so bored, as were the other children around us. The only bit that he enjoyed was the free cake at the beginning :( Very, very, very disappointed. Can't see who the morning was aimed at. The adults already know about the school, that's why we've taken time off work to come. The children need interaction with something memorable if they are to be inspired (in fact I would have liked something memorable too). But none of us got a thing from our time there. Just endless traipsing down corridors of blue lockers - nice shade of blue though and the lockers were a good size :lol:

I
DC17C

Re: Open Morning experience

Post by DC17C »

I did not bother going to Pates but my DD went to an open evening and came back full of how fantastic it was - but that was 2 years ago. She ended up at Ribston though which was her first choice and is so..... happy there - keeps saying that she picked the right school for her.
I think it is quite difficult in September when there are so many schools to go and see we went in Yr 5 and then just back to Ribston in Yr6 for another quick look.
custard

Post by custard »

I didn't go to the Pates open morning because when I looked at the website it said they were all completely booked up and there was a waiting list. But I went to the one at Crypt - no need to book at all - and I was very impressed. The sixth formers who showed us round were very articulate and polite, and my DS was very impressed with a science lesson we saw where the pupils were experimenting with dropping different kinds of balls into a tray of sand from different heights. There was a talk from the Head Teacher and the head boy and I really liked what the Head said about making sure the children are happy because happy children learn. He said lots of other good things too. DS really wants to go there now.
Amber

Post by Amber »

That made me laugh littlebaker as though it is some years ago now, that is how we felt too. Endless dark corridors with lockers in; we were shown round by someone who was a very poor ambassador for the place too; ..and a self-congratulatory speech, albeit from a different head at the time. I'd better not say any more, firstly because everyone has a different take on these things and secondly because I am in a different position from what I was at that time now.

My sons are preparing for STRS' 'interactive' open days next week, with some amusement it has to be said. One has been tasked with 'meet and greet' - he presumes because his class is interacting in an Art lesson and his artwork may have been deemed unhelpful as a marketing device.
custard

Post by custard »

I'm taking DS to STRS on Thursday morning.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Custard, that was exactly the sort of exciting/grown-up sort of lesson I was hoping my DS would see. It was really disappointing even from my adult point of view, I dread to think what the children thought of an empty school with nothing going on. Maybe it's just me though.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

My sons are preparing for STRS' 'interactive' open days next week, with some amusement it has to be said. One has been tasked with 'meet and greet' - he presumes because his class is interacting in an Art lesson and his artwork may have been deemed unhelpful as a marketing device.

Hee hee amber! :) :lol:
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

I would say the Year 5 Summer open mornings are less interactive than the Year 6 evenings in October. We went round the girls grammars (HSFG/Ribston) last Summer and the staff were teaching normal lessons. However they were really helpful and answered any questions.
Also remember that a lot of the school have finished (Year 11 and 13) so this may make the school look empty If you do want more hands on activity then the Year 6 evenings are more interactive.
I personally like to see around on a normal day. Especially at break, lunch or lesson changeover.
Maybe I'm strange, but I think it gives you a really good insight into behaviour! :D
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Cup of tea, I don't think that's strange at all, in fact it's exactly what we were hoping to see and exactly why we travelled so far for the experience. If they had told me beforehand that 98% of the school were away on trips and that we wouldn't see any examples of work or lessons I don't think we would have bothered going.

The loos were clean though :D
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

We did a lot of open evenings in Sept of year 5, both GS and comp. They all seem to have lots of interactive activities on show, and encourage the kids to join in.

I really like seeing a school on a normal school day though, so dh took ds to Marling this week to their open day. We had been to the open evening back in sept, lot sof good interactive stuff, but all he noticed was the 'old' school hall.
This week, they saw other things, in particular they saw the theatre/drama dept, which had a drum kit. That was all it took for ds to decide it was OK - has drums, I want to go there :lol:

dh said it was actually quite a dull day, most of the kids were outside doing sports, very little to see. But at the end they met the head of KS3. They got talking and he really engaged the kids, sort of gave an impromptu presentation. ds really liked him, and that (with the drums) probably swung it.