Crypt Holiday Dates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DC17C

Crypt Holiday Dates

Post by DC17C »

Ok so I have had a very interesting pack of info from Crypt for DS starting Yr7 in September. The term dates are included and I noticed the summer holidays start on 11th July 2014. Ok I thought that sounds a bit early- must be just the way the dates work out. Then in the Governors update it says the school year is being reduced to 185 days from 190 in recognition of the school's outstanding OFSTED and will be reiviewed in 2 years. Apparently the early holiday to allow parents to get away early- how does that help if you have children in 2-3 different schools? :roll:
U400JB9

Re: Crypt Holiday Dates

Post by U400JB9 »

It doesn't.
As from Sept my girls will be at different schools. Both get 2 weeks for autumn half term, which overlap by a week in the middle.....so I have one or another child at home over three weeks.

Doesn't help me at all as I have to work. But then, I'm so delighted they're both at their first choice schools, I'll just grumble out of earshot. :wink:
cairo

Post by cairo »

Very interesting that Crypt have reduced their annual school days from 190 to 185 - but that's Academies for you! They have the right to do whatever they like: mess around with the holidays / alter the number of terms per year / move to a 7:30 - 6pm day / increase their teachers' salaries if they so wish....

I suppose if you only had DCs at Crypt, the first week of the summer hols would be a good time to get away, as the prices will be cheaper than the normal 6 week block. But if you have DCs in multiple schools, it will obviously be harder.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

cairo it doesn't always make a difference going just a week or so earlier. I have friends at private schools that break up much earlier than state so we've talked about this before. The holiday companies are aware of the private school holidays and the fact that they break up early and go back later so the prices don't really reduce until you're way back at the end of June or into mid September. So basically it's just an inconvenience for parents.
cairo

Post by cairo »

Oh right. Yes, it will be a real nuisance for lots of parents.

If I were in this position and needing to work during that extra summer holiday week, I would be rather anxious about finding child care that week. Certainly the place I normally use is only open for the standard 6 week holiday. Of course you can leave an older child at home alone, but Y7 for a whole week??

It might be worth Crypt parents speaking to holiday clubs now - they might possibly open early if they feel there is enough demand.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now