Writing on the paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pixiequeen

Writing on the paper

Post by pixiequeen »

I know this topic has come up before, but I read the information letter that came from SHS which says specifically that children must not write on the question paper and panicked, because I have been teaching my DD2 to circle the question numbers she can't do so she can go back to them at the end. I'm sure DD1 did the same - what has everyone else told their kids to do? Has anyone heard of a child being told off in the exam for doing this?

Worried that we need a plan B for dealing with this :?
Amber

Re: Writing on the paper

Post by Amber »

Yep,this came up for us too. Get her to jot them down on the spare paper instead. There is spare paper still, isn't there?
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Thank you Amber, yes there is definitely still spare paper. Is that what everyone elses DC are doing?
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

DD draws a box on scratch paper and writes the numbers of questions she's not sure about, and goes back if she has time.
ginx

Post by ginx »

No scrap paper here. Any workings out on answer sheet. Sorry, in Warwickshire.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

ok, so what actually happens if you do write on the paper?

ds uses the alphabets on the code questions and ends up with pencil marks all over the alphabet.

Will he get told off?

He really struggles to write on the scrap paper, although we have really tried.
CheltMum13

Post by CheltMum13 »

No writing on question paper allowed, but they definitely do receive scrap paper to write on. One DD of friend wrote on question paper and part way through test was asked to erase it, as it was not allowed. Used up far more time than if she had written on the scrap paper provided, and it also threw her completely. Fortunately she still got a place at the school she wanted.

Our DD draws a line down one side of the scrap paper where she notes any questions to go back too and uses the rest of the paper for workings, writing out alphabet etc, which seems to work well.
Amber

Post by Amber »

steppemum wrote:ok, so what actually happens if you do write on the paper?

ds uses the alphabets on the code questions and ends up with pencil marks all over the alphabet..
I really wouldn't let him do this - I am not sure if you can be disqualified but if he were mine I wouldn't risk it. My son wrote out the alphabet on the scrap paper I think. I imagine it is a concern for many but unless you are totally cool about the idea of arguing it afterwards, I would get him out of the habit now.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

It takes 30 seconds to write an alphabet, and a but a lot more to rub things out...
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

just seems a but annoying, they give you the alphabet, but if you use it and mark it, that is a problem.

we will work on it.

Anyone got exam day details yet? Do you know when we get them?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now