How is everyone feeling?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bewilderedofglos

Re: How is everyone feeling?

Post by bewilderedofglos »

Feeling very naive as I had assumed I would feel better once the test day was over, and even though DD is happy with the way she performed, because she didn't finish the first test, I feel dreadful. It is going to be a long long week.

I almost wish we hadn't even put our heads above the parapet and tried for it. About 15 other girls from DD school took it and I dread everyone else getting in and DD just missing out. All others seem pretty confident (though only a couple finished that first paper).
Pinkoddy

Post by Pinkoddy »

bewilderedofglos wrote:Feeling very naive as I had assumed I would feel better once the test day was over, and even though DD is happy with the way she performed, because she didn't finish the first test, I feel dreadful. It is going to be a long long week.

I almost wish we hadn't even put our heads above the parapet and tried for it. About 15 other girls from DD school took it and I dread everyone else getting in and DD just missing out. All others seem pretty confident (though only a couple finished that first paper).
I know what you mean, at least before the test I can help him be proactive in preparing for the test - now there is nothing to do but wait.

Good luck to her.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

don't worry about all the others feeling confident. There is no way of knowing how they actually did until the results come out.
Vio125

Post by Vio125 »

I would not worry. My dd had a friend who missed quite a few questions on paper 1 last year (about last 10-15). She passed for HSFG. My dd also convinced me that she had failed as she throughout this week she told me how hard paper 1 was estimating how many questions she had got wrong - this got worse as the week went on. I was convinced she had failed. She is now enjoying her first term at grammar school!
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

Was glad to hear DCs weren't talking about the test at school today and comparing notes! DD2 said no one mentioned it, whereas 3 years ago dd1's class talked a lot about it which was quite upsetting for her as she was worried she'd failed! (She's now very happy at SHS). Saturday seemed less busy than 3 years ago at SHS, although it may have appeared busy as I notice whole families picking their DDs up!
swoops

Post by swoops »

imustbecrazy wrote:Was glad to hear DCs weren't talking about the test at school today and comparing notes! DD2 said no one mentioned it, whereas 3 years ago dd1's class talked a lot about it which was quite upsetting for her as she was worried she'd failed! (She's now very happy at SHS). Saturday seemed less busy than 3 years ago at SHS, although it may have appeared busy as I notice whole families picking their DDs up!

My DD said the same yesterday, no one talked about it, defenatly the parents seem much more stressed about the whole thing! DD refuses to talk about it anymore.

I also thought it wasn't too busy at SHS but as it was our first (and thankfully only time......not sure I could go through that again even if we had another!) we had nothing to compare it to. I thought it was really nice for the girls that the teachers were dressed in casual clothes making it a much more relaxed experience for them. Did you notice the amount of private school kids? I have been told they do the test as a way to get reduced fees not sure I agree with this, if these kids do well and 'take places' from ones that genuinely want to go to GS it makes it an even longer wait to find out if we go onto the waiting list.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

how did you know which ones were private school kids, Swoops? Were they in uniform? I didn't hang about very long and my DH collected DD after.

My DD says no one at her school is talking about the test either.
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

Swoops -yes I did see the private school kids, wasn't sure what to think, was it more off putting for our kids to see kids turning up in uniform or was it more embarrassing for them?! Or maybe it was meant to impress us? :roll:
swoops

Post by swoops »

pixiequeen wrote:how did you know which ones were private school kids, Swoops? Were they in uniform?.
Yup could spot them a mile off :lol:
imustbecrazy wrote:Swoops -yes I did see the private school kids, wasn't sure what to think, was it more off putting for our kids to see kids turning up in uniform or was it more embarrassing for them?! Or maybe it was meant to impress us? :roll:
Personally I thought it was a little embarrassing for them, my DD didn't even notice them so if it was 'tactics' it didn't work for us!
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

The mind boggles as to why private school kids would come in uniform :roll:

Were any of them wearing hats :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now