Stroud to STR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Stroud to STR

Post by stroudydad »

Anyone do this journey ?
Amber

Re: Stroud to STR

Post by Amber »

Compared with some of the insane commutes, Stroud looks positively local Stroudydad. Some of my sons' friends over time have come from far further afield. I have no idea about the journey but as you know I am a huge fan of the school so if it is straightforward and Stroudyson3 is keen I would certainly investigate. Good luck - I know you are in an enviable position with 4 to choose from here. :)
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

Is there a school bus route? If not the train then 94 bus to Longlevens would be do-able (we’re on the other side of Gloucester so my son will be getting a bus into town then the 94, as lots of boys seem to.)
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Personally I find it is a bit of an awkward bus route. My daughter travels to Stroud from top end of Hucclecote. Number 10 to Brockworth then 63 to Stroud. Doing the reverse and going further on to Tommies I think involves another bus change or a long walk in Longlevens.
It takes about an hour for my daughter to get to school so can only assume longer to get to Tommies. Im glad she is only chosen Stroud for sixth form personally and went to a closer school for yrs 7-11.
I don’t know if there is a better route to Gloucester and out to Longlevens..perhaps that would be better...or train and bus might work...
I suspect you are looking at quite a painful journey for potentially 7 years especially when winter weather gets thrown in..
Amber

Post by Amber »

According to the STR website, 'there are buses, operated commercially, which bring pupils from the Forest of Dean, Cheltenham, Tewkesbury, Stroud, Swindon (via Cirencester) and Bristol'. Clicking a link from that page takes you to a neat little map showing a daily service from the Cross Hands roundabout to the school. It is a journey which ought not to take more than half an hour door to door, though I guess that traffic conditions may change that - but as STR is pretty near the M5 it could work in your favour.
https://strschool.co.uk/parents/businformation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

DC17C wrote:Personally I find it is a bit of an awkward bus route. My daughter travels to Stroud from top end of Hucclecote. Number 10 to Brockworth then 63 to Stroud. Doing the reverse and going further on to Tommies I think involves another bus change or a long walk in Longlevens.
It takes about an hour for my daughter to get to school so can only assume longer to get to Tommies. Im glad she is only chosen Stroud for sixth form personally and went to a closer school for yrs 7-11.
I don’t know if there is a better route to Gloucester and out to Longlevens..perhaps that would be better...or train and bus might work...
I suspect you are looking at quite a painful journey for potentially 7 years especially when winter weather gets thrown in..
Thanks DC. which year is DD in? It’s likely she’ll know at least one of mine...
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:According to the STR website, 'there are buses, operated commercially, which bring pupils from the Forest of Dean, Cheltenham, Tewkesbury, Stroud, Swindon (via Cirencester) and Bristol'. Clicking a link from that page takes you to a neat little map showing a daily service from the Cross Hands roundabout to the school. It is a journey which ought not to take more than half an hour door to door, though I guess that traffic conditions may change that - but as STR is pretty near the M5 it could work in your favour.
https://strschool.co.uk/parents/businformation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You’re selling hard on this one Amber:-)
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote: You’re selling hard on this one Amber:-)
:lol:
You know me, I usually say take the nearest one. But this is STR! And I also know that you know that you want to! :wink:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

7:45/16:45 at merrywalks... I :D need to persuade wife and son though...
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Igobus run a route. You can either start in Minch or Bisley (I think). I can't remember where you are... It's the same bus that two of mine get to Pate's. It has several Tommies children on.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now