New exam format, 2014 ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Watermelon8

Re: New exam format, 2014 ?

Post by Watermelon8 »

It does sound like it's going to be a better all round format & I suppose everyone with a current Y5 child will be in the same boat preparation/information wise so results may be a truer representation of children's ability rather than more a reflection of the amt of tutoring? Hopefully any prep work done will actually be more useful for the DDs & DSs rather than working out codes etc like this yr!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I agree actually; I think in the long run it may be more of a true test of skills (after going through the whole VR malarkey with DD I'll get to see both sides of the coin). However, I object to being tested on something not yet learnt; that just isn't fair on anyone and I don't see what purpose it serves. I know everyone is in the same boat, but it just isn't reflecting intelligence because it will just force the dc's to guess - what good is that?! :( . I think a lot of people will be glad they have squeaked into the VR-type exam, me included because I think dd would have struggled with the new format. That said, now she is in grammar, she is definitely in the right school for her, so it has all worked out in the end.

Hope I don't sound cross, but my dd will also be in a guinea pig year when she comes to do GCSE's (or whatever they will be called). Although they haven't yet made their minds up on that one either. As I understand it, coursework will now only appear in subjects other than English and Maths and not all subjects, as had been fanfared initially.
malvern

Post by malvern »

I think it is to pick out those DCs (few and far between) who are ahead of where they 'should' be. This will allow them to demonstrate their knowledge.

Many DCs read at a level far beyond their age - should they not be given a chance to demonstrate their knowledge.

They will, quite rightly, come out with higher marks.

Surely this has to be correct.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Thank you all. Feeling a bit better about it now. All of the children in our school were tutored this year in one way or another,and we scored 100%, all of the children who took the test passed, astonishing ! I think this proves how tutorable VR is, as there was definitely mixed ability. I was astonished at some of the DCs who came top 120 !

It should be fairer now on DCs who cannot afford to be tutored, although, I feel it will be quite telling of the schools who teach English & Maths well. I suspect there will be a bias to indies who have much smaller classes. I don't think they can ever make it absolutely fair :?
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

malvern wrote:I think it is to pick out those DCs (few and far between) who are ahead of where they 'should' be. This will allow them to demonstrate their knowledge.

Many DCs read at a level far beyond their age - should they not be given a chance to demonstrate their knowledge.

Malvern, I just wondered how your DS did in each exam, did he do better in one that another ? Thank you for your kind contribution.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I don't seem to be able to find it now, but somewhere on here, (I thought Kent) it is stated that the Maths was upto the end of year 5.
malvern

Post by malvern »

Sunshine 11 wrote:
malvern wrote:I think it is to pick out those DCs (few and far between) who are ahead of where they 'should' be. This will allow them to demonstrate their knowledge.

Malvern, I just wondered how your DS did in each exam, did he do better in one that another ? Thank you for your kind contribution.

DS did just fine, very happy (and more importantly so is he), CEM results expected this weekend but in Glos ranked 139 for Pates, 234 for STRS, 127.5 for Crypt.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

malvern wrote: DS did just fine, very happy (and more importantly so is he), CEM results expected this weekend but in Glos ranked 139 for Pates, 234 for STRS, 127.5 for Crypt.
Would be interesting to compare results..
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I have been having a look in Warwickshire postings, this seems like the most likely format they will follow, dates are as follows:

3rd June - application packs sent out
1st July - 10th July - on line applications made (v short window, don't book any holidays !)
26th Aug - allocation of test venues
6th Sept - Sit the test
Results then take around 7 weeks, CEM tests are not generally computer marked.

Lets hope Gloucestershire pull their finger out, and let us know early November. They have no excuse then as all of this year's students will have completed their secondary transfer forms by then :)
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

wow looking at that timetable, you would need to know not to book a holiday at the end of August/last 2 weeks of school holidays.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now