12+ Gloucestershire ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
inyourowntime

12+ Gloucestershire ?

Post by inyourowntime »

Hi all,
Apologies for popping this question here - perhaps the moderators will be kind enough to move it if there is somewhere more appropriate.

Does anyone know if there is a 12+ system in Gloucestershire?

Right now I don't think we have the stomach for it but I would hate to miss the boat should it be an option.

Many thanks
Sunshine 11

Re: 12+ Gloucestershire ?

Post by Sunshine 11 »

12+ ? Not sure what you mean. In Glos we have 11+ and you can change in other years if your child has taken the test and qualified. My friend took the 12 + when she was a child but she lived nr London.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
inyourowntime

Post by inyourowntime »

Sorry should have been clearer :oops: - the chance to effectively retake the test for entry further up the school.

This is spoken about in other regions as the 12+. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of this in Glos?

As I said this question may be better placed in the appeals section but I know there is a wealth of knowledge that is Glos specific here.

IYOT
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

They didn't used to have anything official and pretty certain they still don't. However I think you can apply to individual schools if places become available but not sure what the testing arrangements are.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

inyourowntime wrote:Sorry should have been clearer :oops: - the chance to effectively retake the test for entry further up the school.

This is spoken about in other regions as the 12+. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of this in Glos?

As I said this question may be better placed in the appeals section but I know there is a wealth of knowledge that is Glos specific here.

IYOT
Yes, each grammar school runs its own 'in-house' testing arrangements. Most tend to be an English/maths/science paper which has nothing to do with 11+ material. It depends if there is space available in the specific year you are looking for, but usually the 120 starting figure for the gloucestershire grammar schools gets bigger and bigger by the time you get to year 11. To be crude, more bums on seats = more money. Apply to each school individually through admissions.
Chelt_Dad

Post by Chelt_Dad »

Our friend's son just passed the Tommies exam for entrance into year 8 come September. There were quite a few boys trying for the several places that had become available due to boys moving schools. Best to call the school and ask for the details of how the process works. He had a Maths and English exam if I remember correctly. Interestingly enough he did not qualify for any of the schools when he took the 11+ in October 2012 as he had a bit of a meltdown on the day.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I may be wrong, but I thought that once you had taken the 11+ (and not qualified) that meant the only option was to go in by appeal..
cazien

Post by cazien »

You can ask a GS if any places are available mid-way through the school year, and for any year. If "yes", your child has to sit an exam to give the school an idea of capability. Three boys have left Crypt in Year 8 - new ones are starting in September. So all is not lost if your DC does not pass the exam/not offered a place. Could be an incentive to work hard at their allocated school :)
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Sorry butting in here but if anyone not in Glos is thinking about this do check the rules for each grammar before applying. For example for the two Tiffin schools in Surrey, if you have not qualified for their 11 plus you can't reapply until sixth form.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Peridot wrote:Sorry butting in here but if anyone not in Glos is thinking about this do check the rules for each grammar before applying. For example for the two Tiffin schools in Surrey, if you have not qualified for their 11 plus you can't reapply until sixth form.
That was my understanding of the situation in glos, other than through appeal. I know of a family that deliberately chose not to enter their ds2 into the 11+ as they had a ds1 at Marling who wanted to go to Pates for sixth form. They entered him for the in year test in y7 and joined y8
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now