How are pass marks set?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NancyB

Re: How are pass marks set?

Post by NancyB »

Sunshine 11 wrote:Don't forget if your DS is sitting in September there will be no "pass mark". You'll just receive a ranking.
One thing to consider is gender. In a simplified calculation, say all 7 Gloucestershire grammars each take 120 pupils so a total of 840 places. Would a child ranked 839 be offered a place at a grammar?

The answer has to be 'possibly not'.

If for instance girls happen do better than boys in the test that year. For the sake of argument, in the top 120 there are 60 boys & 60 girls, all off to Pate's (yes, I know ths isn't what actually happens). There are therefore 420 places available to each gender.

Out of the top scoring 840, 60% are girls. That's 504. So even though ranked higher than the boys and in 'the top 840', 84 will not get a place. Likewise, 84 boys below rank 840 will get a place (remember, no pass mark).

If all the schools were mixed-gender, then the ranking would work.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

NancyB wrote:
Sunshine 11 wrote:Don't forget if your DS is sitting in September there will be no "pass mark". You'll just receive a ranking.
One thing to consider is gender. In a simplified calculation, say all 7 Gloucestershire grammars each take 120 pupils so a total of 840 places. Would a child ranked 839 be offered a place at a grammar?

If for instance girls happen do better than boys in the test that year. For the sake of argument, in the top 120 there are 60 boys & 60 girls, all off to Pate's (yes, I know ths isn't what actually happens). There are therefore 420 places available to each gender.

Out of the top scoring 840, 60% are girls. That's 504. So even though ranked higher than the boys and in 'the top 840', 84 will not get a place. Likewise, 84 boys below rank 840 will get a place (remember, no pass mark).

Very perceptive Nancy B ! The administrators will have fun this year ! typical we are the guinea pigs :( in our favour, we are still in the low birth rate zone. My DS however, who is 2 years younger is a major boom year, so whilst I would say he is much brighter (already reading age of 11 year old and only 7) I've got a funny feeling DD may get in and DS may not ! we shall see.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Interesting stuff; thanks for your scenario Sunshine. I Just hadn't given it much thought before. Nice to know he's in a low birth rate year Nancy. Just need him to be the only boy now (sorry to mums of girls!).
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

NancyB wrote:

I've just thought about this a bit more. Not to worry, each school will have a different ranking. So HFS, RH & GHSFG will of course only be ranking the girls results. STR, MS & CGS will only be ranking the boys. It is only Pates where the girls doing better issue could arise. So we shall see. Or will Pates weight the results for boys ? they may see how it pans out and then consider. Hope that puts your mind at rest a bit more NancyB x
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Ah, that makes sense Sunshine. Don't think Pates is an option, so don't have to worry on that score at least!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now