Summer sports equipment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Summer sports equipment

Post by ToadMum »

Re the Deep Heat, I don't think they go in for that at Southend Boys' - actually I would worry just a bit about the use of topical vasodilators out on the frozen wastes of the school playing field!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

ToadMum wrote:Re the Deep Heat, I don't think they go in for that at Southend Boys' - actually I would worry just a bit about the use of topical vasodilators out on the frozen wastes of the school playing field!

:lol: don't worry toad mum, I know they use aerosol version, which has to be sprayed from 12 inches. :lol:

We queried it, but apparently "it's been done in rugby clubs for years" maybe it does stem back from the rub in ointment days! I think they only bring it out when tears burst forth through the frozen mud. :cry:
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

I'll always remember one former PE teacher who let us idle on a go-slow in the changing room one very cold, wet morning and never issued the for "indoors"

Once on the field, - oh yes, it had snowed enough to be "soft if you fall" - he headed up the laps and said "follow me, do what I do" and proceeded to do forward roll in the muddy part near the goals. Stunned, we had to follow suit. The showers afterwards were the best ever! And he had our respect ever after - we played hockey in the pouring rain for that man.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

southbucks3 wrote: don't worry toad mum, I know they use aerosol version, which has to be sprayed from 12 inches.
It's not the possibility of a hulking great games teacher rubbing DS2's legs that worries me particularly, more the Deep Heat hastening the onset of hypothermia if applied to a large enough expanse of bare boy :lol: Anyway, even if they did start using it, I don't think anyone would be able to get near enough to DS2 use the stuff on him, as he came over all queasy when I explained the mode of action of the common-or-garden rubefacient :shock:

That child is sooo not going to enjoy Biology lessons, I just know it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Cheltfan

Post by Cheltfan »

Tommies have already held/started their Y7 cricket trials so surprised your son hasn't mentioned it.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We knew they had already had the tryouts for Y7 cricket and he was disappointed he couldn't try. But it says in the school uniform he needs cricket whites, but talking to him he thinks he won't be playing full cricket just kick cricket, so that is why we are wondering if he actually needs cricket whites or can get away with his white kit.
CyberMummy

Post by CyberMummy »

Like MedievalBabe, I was a bit alarmed by the long PE kit list on the STRS website. I wrote to the school and received a reassuring reply from the Headteacher, which was coordinated with the Head of PE. As I suspected, they do not teach all the sports listed to the Year 7s.

You will be fine with just a normal state school secondary PE kit of shorts, T-shirt and long outdoor PE top, but they do also request that you get two different pairs of socks, one for indoor and a longer pair for outdoors. Only the outdoor top and long socks need to be of the special design but you might have to buy those new because the PTA-run second-hand uniform shop does not have many of these tops in stock (they changed the design recently) and I suppose no-one wants second-hand socks! There is no point trying to get the outdoor PE top until DS is assigned to a 'house' because you have to get the right colour. The second-hand shop (opening dates/times are on the school website) had most other uniform items, bits of sports equipment and even a few boots for soccer/rugby? The smaller blazers mostly needed a seam stitching or a button transplant, but they were still quite respectable as they seem to be made of some form of boy-proof machine-washable polyester.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DS is in Y7, so already has the winter kit and white PE kit. We decided to visit Sports Direct, following earlier advice, and got him cricket trousers and long top anyway. They are so big that unless he shoots up they will last him several years and they were very heavily reduced in price, so happy to provide.

After I took the trousers up he put them in his kit bag with all the labels still on them, so just before he walks out the door with it all I checked his kit -no PE shorts, t shirt or socks, but all of his rugby stuff. Do we have to do everything for them? :lol: :roll: