11 + exam prep in private education

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: 11 + exam prep in private education

Post by hermanmunster »

I think my kids at indie primaries where very chilled about tests - one apparently did year 7 SATS without realising that he was doing them. The schools we used sent kids to a range of secondaries including indies, state grammar and comprehensive - all did the same prep together.

(though DD enjoyed not having to do much towards indie exams as the GS was done and dusted so much earlier in the academic year and she didn't do SATS :wink: )
gameon

Post by gameon »

Our Indie does two exams per year in the main sports hall, year 3 and year 4 together and year 5 and year 6 together.

Kismet - you may be want put some Indie as a back up. Indies are easier to get into our area as well. Check this out in your area. Just download some Indie papers and you will have a rough idea of what level you need to aim at. I don't have any backups. Either he gets into a GS or he will go to a local comp. He has got a good foundation and matured(not yet though) enough to work hard where ever he goes.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am interested that you are happy with state for Secondary but not for primary. I know more people the other way around? DG
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

For our part, there was a new headmaster at our previously good primary school, and it hit the rocks soon after he started. My dd was falling badly behind as her teacher was appalling. The one that swung it though was our ds was also not doing well academically because he was in an "out of control" class, as admitted by his then teacher (who left half way through a term and cried much of the time and relied on a handbell to get their attention!). We then found out he was being systematically beaten, mainly by punching in the stomach. I caught a boy bashing his head off a climbing frame. Headmaster said that it was a "problem year" and "what can you do"!!!!! I contacted Education Dept who said that they would struggle to find places for either of them elsewhere and basically get lost, so we were left with no choice. Best thing we ever did. Ref secondary school, the fees rise dramatically so it was never an option. DD is so happy at GS now and I'm sure that DS will be too if he manages to get a place. That's our story anyway. I don't mean you Daogroupie, but there is an assumption (which really gets up my nose) that all kids in indie are posh. That's certainly not the case where ds is now; sometimes people are just victims of circumstance.