Experience Days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Watermelon8

Re: Experience Days

Post by Watermelon8 »

I agree Amber, the children are far less stressed about choosing a secondary school than their parents are (& that's how it should be!) :lol:
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

It was just the top ability children of the year group, but I know talking to another mum of a child in another school the whole year was offered the chance to go and only 3 or 4 were interested. It was definitely aimed at the top ability children to encourage them that grammar school is a possibility for them, where ever they come from.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

In our area, most if not all of the secondary schools do various activities with local primaries. The last event DS2 went to was a whole year 'science day' at one of the local boys' grammars, which is a few minutes' walk away from his school, but they have also been involved in both 'G+T' and large group activities at several other schools, including cookery sessions at one comprehensive and a maths competition at another. In year 7, DD was involved in a French language project at her comprehensive, working with children from the main feeder schools for that school under the guidance of the MFL outreach teacher from the GS she subsequently moved to.

The HTs of the local grammars are indeed very keen to open the eyes of as many local children and their parents to the possibility and desirability of trying for a place at one of the grammar schools and yes, some of the activities - particularly at one comprehensive school I can think of - could very well be seen as 'marketing ploys'. However, the events are usually very well run and the primary pupils enjoy them. If the staff - and pupils - of the secondary schools concerned feel that it is all too much trouble and they wish they didn't have to do it, they certainly have the good grace to keep their thoughts well hidden from the participants.

Oh, and it happens the other way round as well - students from the secondary schools spend time in the primaries, doing things ranging from hearing the younger pupils read to helping to teach French to a year 6 class. Although in the case of the latter, goodness knows what the poor souls in the class which found themselves with DS1 thought of the experience :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Maybe 'marketing ploy' came over a little dismissive. The children certainly would not have realised that it was such - just a day out of the classroom in an exciting environment. An important part of running a school is making sure the marketing works to get as many pupils in as you can (and in the case of grammars, of as high an ability as possible).

Pate's at one point (I seem to remember) worked on a scheme with the Sutton Trust to get children from the schools close to Pate's to take the test. These schools were ones where maybe 1 child per year, at the most, took the entrance test. Most of the grammars will work with some local primaries and may target ones where parents might not even consider putting their children in for the 11+, even though the child may be very bright; it's de-mystifying the schools.

Y5 and Y6 children do sometimes worry about moving up - I certainly did, as my catchment school was rumoured to be very rough. Actually seeing the local schools does put their minds at rest (or better still, helps the thoughts not even take hold).
Capers
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

MedievalBabe wrote:Well my DD got invited along for an afternoon of activities at Pates at the beginning of this term. There was only 4 schools involved and only Y5 children. They did a half day of activities, toured the school, did some activities in prep for the exam, got a drink and biscuits (most memorable part). It really sold the school to her and has given her extra determination to pass.
Awsome ! Nope that didn't happen at ours. Do yours go to RPS by any chance ?
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Burnham Grammar has these and has done for several years. My DS went along but doesn't really remember it, I think he had a nice day though! They also do quite a lot of sports and science things with local primary schools, but I think this is more of a sharing the facilities/engaging with the community than anything else, not intended as a sales pitch (the primary school experience days defintiely are & the parents are invited for coffee & a presentation).
scary mum
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Nope she doesn't go to RPS. I may work in the Independent sector but my children have always gone to state schools. I can't afford the uniform let alone the fees :lol:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

What a great idea. We are at a state school where many of the parents are as keen as mustard( is mustard keen?) to attempt the 11+ so if the experience days help encourage those children from less pro active families (whether that be by choice or circumstance) then surely it's a good thing. On our tour or Pates we were with a family where both the parents and the child looked quite overwhelmed. I really hope they didn't let it dishearten them because I think that's one thing that my DS will lose out on if he ends up at any of the grammars - learning to get on with people from all walks of life.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I agree, I think the state schools should be encouraging the taking of the 11+. As for your ds, I think Pates does have a daunting reputation which by the accounts of many on here is undeserved, so nobody should be overwhelmed. It's an ideal opportunity to show kids that ability and hard work can overcome many things, including money, so he's as good as anyone. But yes, ultimately as we all know, any school is preparation for what they will experience when they leave - good or bad!
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Well DD and her friends really enjoyed SWR. It has made us much more relaxed about the whole thing, what will be will be, and if it isn't meant to be grammar, there are other great schools out there too. I even got a call back from the head, now that's service !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now