CEM Topics for Study

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
richard20

CEM Topics for Study

Post by richard20 »

Hi. My eldest daughter is in a Gloucs GS having been tutored through the 'old' VR exam. I went back to the same tutor for my twins. Gloucs had now switched to CEM exam and I feel a lot of the topics the tutor is covering are not really likely to come up on the CEM exam. This is leading to a lot of work and not so much learning.
Can anyone tell me are the following topics likely to appear on the new CEM exam -

MATHS
Complementary, Supplementary, Corresponding and Alternate Angles
Probability
Division of fractions

ENGLISH
Colons and Semi-Colons
Concord
Prepositions
Phrases, Compound and Complex Sentences - Connectives and Conjunctions

VR
Type 32 - coding
Types 2,4,5,21 - linking words
Type 16 - letter pairs
Type 19 - numbers and brackets

I've also been told to do the Non VR with my children myself at home as it only represents 10% of the marks?!?

Any help would be appreciated as I am now thinking about switching tutors.
Tinkers

Re: CEM Topics for Study

Post by Tinkers »

You might be best posting in the Gloucester section rather tHan Berkshire. Hopefully a mod will stop by soon and move the thread.

I don't know a lot about CEM as my 11+ time has been and gone! but there's a few handy links to CEM threads in the Duffers guide to Kendrick (at the top of this Berkshire section. There's also a CEM section devoted to it.

From what I do know, what you have written for English and VR in your lists are somewhat irrelavant. If the tutor is teaching the same VR stuff as with your older DD then I'm reasonably sure that they are teaching the wrong sort of stuff and haven't caught up with the change to CEM.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I would be concerned as what I have picked up is that the VR part is based around antonyms and synonyms with letters missing or choosing the word that means the same/opposite or most appropriate word. The English is possibly based around comprehension rather than SPAG.

The maths could be any area; percentages, fractions and decimals are likely in some form of another, probability could be used as the basis of a problem question. There will be areas which your DD can do quicker than others in a short period of time and it is working out which type of questions she can do quickly.

Also we do not know what the split of marks are going to be for the parts of the paper! this has not been made public, so I would be asking your tutor where he got the information from that NVR is only 10% of the paper.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Richard I have private messaged you.
KCG
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I agree with Medievalbabe. On the math, I don't think the math as such will be very difficult, it is the way they will pose the math problem that needs a little practice, for example, presenting a bus timetable and if the bus is say 13 minutes late what time will it reach the final destination ? Or looking at a pie chart and interpreting info say there are 40 children and 10 like sweets, how many degrees would that represent on the chart ? Sort of manipulating data a little too. Also, learning triangular numbers and doing basic algebra which they may not even do at school !

At this stage, you could probably just do it yourself by getting cgp and bond books. Good luck !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
richard20

Post by richard20 »

Hi, thank you for all the advice, it is very useful and I am in the process of checking out the various threads and links suggested.

I am switching tutors to someone who seems to have a better handle on what should be covered for a CEM exam. I'm nervous doing this at this stage but feel its the right thing to do for the twins.

Thank again,

Richard
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now