This time next week...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Re: This time next week...

Post by stroudydad »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Lol Amber...I read your statement that you couldn't afford an iphone for yourself, or a child as "I can't afford a child" and I was thinking - no, me either - these kids are blinking expensive!!

And...stroudydad.... "a broom handle"? No broom?!! :wink:
No no broom... She uses it to hit people with.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Kismet wrote:I do worry about all these stories of self harm etc. Why do the children put so much pressure on themselves even when we try not to. Argh!
Yes I have heard quite a few of those lately, are they isolated incidents or is there a culture of it ? Worrying......
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

stroudydad wrote:I have to say that I don't see a problem rewarding hard work, but only if the person works hard without bribery. We rewarded our DC Immediately after the test.. Daughter got given a broom handle and some small spray paints. And I think son got a Pokemon card from eBay.... Their biggest reward of course was knowing they had tried their best to achieve something.
Yes we did too, a cheap Tesco mobile phone ! Quite durable if dropped :-/ and lunch at TGIs. I want her to feel it really doesn't matter because it really doesn't we have a good back up, it's just we aren't in catchment, but it quite a low birth year and so fingers crossed, DD should get a place, my son who is 2 years younger is part of a huge birth year in the county however, so I will really be biting my nails then :? It should work in our favour this year :D

Very proud that she did it and finished it ! Well done to all, whatever the outcome x
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

stroudydad wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Lol Amber...I read your statement that you couldn't afford an iphone for yourself, or a child as "I can't afford a child" and I was thinking - no, me either - these kids are blinking expensive!!

Oooh...do you hire her out, please? I could think of a few people.....!! :lol:
Tiomanisland

Post by Tiomanisland »

We bought DS a reward/gift (a 7" tablet at the cheaper end of the market ie: not a mini IPAD!) to open after the exam.
He chose what he wanted over the summer hols and knew that he would only receive it if he continued to tried his very best in his CEM prep. all the way up to the exam day.
We went to Bristol to look at them all and to get excited and in the weeks before the test we hid little surprise pressies under his pillow as motivation - all little bits to do with the tablet (a positive Amazon print out of said item, a cheapy but fun 7" tablet case from the £ shop (good old Stroud) etc. Really kept him focused.
He did himself proud, tried his very best and worked hard and thus received his reward immediately after the test.
He was thrilled beyond belief and we are proud of his perseverance.
Whatever his results are on Friday then he knows, and we know, that he did very best.
He will receive a 'Congratulations' card over the weekend, whatever the results - and nothing more.
Though if for some miracle he aces the test and flies into all the grammars' Top 120 then we may crack open a 2L bottle of Orange Tango and order a Dominos pizza (using a coupon of course)!
And some smelling salts for mum - think I might faint!
We are planning NOT to give DS his ranking positions/score results whatever the outcome. He will just find out Top 120/wait list/fail ( :( )
Think this will also reduced chat in playground if he does/does not get the place he wants.
We will also have the chat over the weekend about not talking about it/scores with other kids - considering most of his year took the test I am sure there will be some who don't get the score they want.
I really do wish all kids that want a place could get a place. They all deserve it but sadly it will not be.
Good Luck to all , its fingers and toes crossed here in Stroud....
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
stroudydad wrote:

Oooh...do you hire her out, please? I could think of a few people.....!! :lol:
She doesn't really need the staff, her legs are lethal enough.. But stricly for self defence sorry(unless she's competing of course)
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Blimey, I'm feeling really stingey now :oops: . Ds' reward is going to McDonalds to drown our sorrows/celebrate!! McFlurry anyone?
Debims

Post by Debims »

We took DD to get her ears pierced straight after the exam as a surprise - she was blown away as she'd been on about it for months previously and we kept saying not yet, not yet. It was a 'well done for the hard work' reward, regardless of outcome. She has talked much more about her new earrings that about the exam/results/school choices, which is how it should be I guess. I hadn't thought about whether or not to tell her about her ranking, seeing everyone's comments I agree it would lessen the playground gossip and shield her from teasing, but she wants to be the one who opens the email/letter. Not sure how to work that one.
Tiomanisland

Post by Tiomanisland »

Debims wrote:We took DD to get her ears pierced straight after the exam as a surprise - she was blown away as she'd been on about it for months previously and we kept saying not yet, not yet. It was a 'well done for the hard work' reward, regardless of outcome. She has talked much more about her new earrings that about the exam/results/school choices, which is how it should be I guess. I hadn't thought about whether or not to tell her about her ranking, seeing everyone's comments I agree it would lessen the playground gossip and shield her from teasing, but she wants to be the one who opens the email/letter. Not sure how to work that one.

OMG, what a dilemma! Don't even think that our DS knows that results are due in the next 48 hrs. Think he is oblivious. He really is! It may give us some breathing time is he has not made it - deciding how to tell him!

Good luck to you and bet her earrings look lovely - what a really lovely surprise and something she'll never forget.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Tiomanisland wrote:
Debims wrote:We took DD to get her ears pierced straight after the exam as a surprise - she was blown away as she'd been on about it for months previously and we kept saying not yet, not yet. It was a 'well done for the hard work' reward, regardless of outcome. She has talked much more about her new earrings that about the exam/results/school choices, which is how it should be I guess. I hadn't thought about whether or not to tell her about her ranking, seeing everyone's comments I agree it would lessen the playground gossip and shield her from teasing, but she wants to be the one who opens the email/letter. Not sure how to work that one.

OMG, what a dilemma! Don't even think that our DS knows that results are due in the next 48 hrs. Think he is oblivious. He really is! It may give us some breathing time is he has not made it - deciding how to tell him!

Same here. DS came out of school on Monday saying how nervous he was and how he didn't think he would sleep. This was completely out of the blue as he hasn't spoken about the exam for a couple of weeks. Panic. I've psychologically damaged my child. What sort of parent am I? Transpires that he was talking about whether he will be picked for the football team!!! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now