so... current yr 7+ parents... tell all!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

Re: so... current yr 7+ parents... tell all!

Post by stroudydad »

steppemum wrote:Hi Stroudydad I was wondering if you were around to sing SHS praises! I am hoping that dd gets inspired and wants to go there, she is really excited. Having ds go to Marling has made her want to go to Stroud.

Ds however is seriously not happy about the idea that his sister will (hopefully) be joining him on the train!

She is a brass player, and I know SHS has a strong brass reputation.
Hi steppemum, I will happily sing the praises of SHS, we love the school, but more importantly so does DD. We cannot say we have had any problems at all, and the school ethos really is true.. It is open evening this Thursday and Dd will be showing round. There is a decent amount of music groups, and the school are very supportive of out of school activities too.

Slightly off topic but what does your daughter play? My Dd plays brass also (we have 3 brass and a drummer)
fairweathergardener

Post by fairweathergardener »

Hi Amber - I've edited my original post re the strikes - what you said was what I was not very clearly trying to say.

I do agree that all the girls at the school mix very well together, no matter what year group. There's a lot of mixing between the years and everyone seems to know everyone.

Re the homework - some of the form groups did seem to get more homework than my daughter's group last year - I guess it depends on the teachers and if the "homework" was finishing off, which some would have done already in class, I suppose. All I can say is that I can count on both hands how much noticeable homework was brought home last year. I know it's not a measure of how good a school is necessarily, but I do know DD's Pates counterparts, and Tommies, are covering more ground quicker and seemingly a bit more thoroughly in some areas - again probably individual teacher dependent.

Having said all of that, this year she's getting more and seems to be working harder. And I do want her to work hard and not sit on Instagram/Kik/Snapchat every night, which seems the trend for most 11/12 year olds, no matter which school they go to!
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

I'm still a little confused by your homework gripe. One of the lovely things about Denmark is that they are not confined to tutor groups all the time. They have tutor, tech & DEAL groupings which allows them to mix beautifully therefore one 'tutor group' could not have more homework than another as it would be made up of girls in lots of different groups with different teachers for subjects.
I know my DD's primary peers at Ribston, Crypt & St.P had far less than she did initially & yet the children from Churchdown had had loads!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I think it's difficult to identify what is a lot/not much homework. DD has always said that Ribston gives her too much. Her friends don't have a problem and complete it easily and well. However, dd is quite slow with her work (and life!) and is a real perfectionist. She would rather take twice the time to get it right (and frequently tears work up and starts again) which is frustrating as it all stores up. Some dc's are just slower than others so that could explain discrepancies.
bananabrain

Post by bananabrain »

FWF: Can't believe we have daughters in the same year at the same school!! My dd gets PLENTY of hwk; lots of projects and regular tests to assess understanding. She isn't on Snapchat/FB etc so we don't have those issues either
fairweathergardener

I know, it's bizarre isn't it? Unless my daughter wasn't doing it...!!!??? I know what you mean - yes, they are split into three groups this year -a set for Maths in year 8, Tech Group and Tutor Group. Last year it was just the Tech group which encompassed DEAL, and the Tutor Group/Form group. And yes, Stressed Moi?, it may well be that my daughter isn't a perfectionist and gets it done quickly. Since HSFG we have had the social networking issues and I know we aren't alone in that - regular internet control of the router takes place to restrict!! It amazes me that although we have the phone on the landing at night, "beeps" and "dings" arrive regularly after 10pm! But then that's probably just 12 year olds!!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

fairweathergardener wrote:I know, it's bizarre isn't it? Unless my daughter wasn't doing it...!!!??? I know what you mean - yes, they are split into three groups this year -a set for Maths in year 8, Tech Group and Tutor Group. Last year it was just the Tech group which encompassed DEAL, and the Tutor Group/Form group. And yes, Stressed Moi?, it may well be that my daughter isn't a perfectionist and gets it done quickly. Since HSFG we have had the social networking issues and I know we aren't alone in that - regular internet control of the router takes place to restrict!! It amazes me that although we have the phone on the landing at night, "beeps" and "dings" arrive regularly after 10pm! But then that's probably just 12 year olds!!

I discovered a really useful app which you can use to set a phone to silent automatically at a set time at night and then comes back on in the morning. Quite handy for school hours too :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

If you have an iPhone just set it to 'do not disturb'. Very useful and the alarm will override it to wake your little ray of sunshine up in the morning.
fairweathergardener

Amber wrote:If you have an iPhone just set it to 'do not disturb'. Very useful and the alarm will override it to wake your little ray of sunshine up in the morning.
I just don't allow phones/ipod touch in bedroom at all.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

I just don't let mine use social media! & not 'all 11/12 yr olds' use it. My DD has a little group of friends who aren't into that kind of thing(yet!) she knows girls in her year who do but it's definitely not 'all'