so... current yr 7+ parents... tell all!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Flash

Re: so... current yr 7+ parents... tell all!

Post by Flash »

My Y7 dd is loving HSFG.

We went to the social evening last week and met the form tutor and year 7 co-ordinator. It came across that they really care for the girls and, as Watermelon said, there is a nurturing and family feel.

Dd has made so many lovely new friends and is very happy there. She is in 4 different groups - tutor group, tech group, DEAL and her house so they really mix them up which is great for making friends.

We are emailed a weekly newsletter.

They have more than enough homework. They have a long day at school so any more homework would be too much. I think they have the right balance.

Dd does 3 lunchtime clubs and has plenty of time to eat, other than on one day when she takes in a packed lunch due to the timing of the club.

The only downside is the early start to catch the school bus from Cheltenham. Coming home her bus usually pulls up alongside the Pates bus. Dd enjoys going on the bus with the Tommies boys too.
Last edited by Flash on Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Amber wrote:
Oh and if there's ever a strike, HSFG always closes to the lower years, where in contrast, I don't believe, although I could be wrong, this doesn't happen at Ribston, Pates or Tommies.
In my experience both Tommies and Pates stayed open through the strikes. But in what I thought was a master stroke, once Tommies remained open for the younger years and closed for the older ones. This bucked the received wisdom that older ones' lessons were more vital - the thinking was that they would be motivated to work at home (and mine was) and that parents would have been more inconvenienced by having young ones off school for the day, which was also true I felt. I was happy to leave a 15 year old at home alone but wouldn't have liked to do it to an 11 year old.

One thing which is worth looking at if you can find it and if you are torn between schools is sixth form dropout rates and A level results. I have anecdotal information on this but haven't needed to look in huge detail. Do remember that Pates runs a recruitment drive to cream off the top ones from all the grammars, as well as other schools, for Year 12, which not only boosts its own A level results but also reduces those of all the other grammars. Lots of girls join Tommies sixth form and many of them come from HSFG I understand.
This is something I have heard about recently as well. I think some will have moved from Ribston too but I think that is almost more understandable if they live in Cheltenham and or that side of Gloucester and have the chance of an easier journey.
titch

Post by titch »

My DS is Y7 at Crypt, he missed out on Tommies possibly due to distance as we heard of another boy with same pass mark but lived closer that did get in. However now he is at Crypt we feel it probably is the best place for him and there are a much larger number of boys going Crypt than Tommies from this side of Cheltenham.

We did have reservations due to the distance but we are forunate as we live Gloucester side of Cheltenham. The RC1 bus and the Tommies bus pull into the bus stop at the same time most evenings and only a few minutes difference in the morning.

Crypt have decided to reduced the homework schedule to English, Maths and Science (one piece per night) for the first half term while the boys settled in, which for us has worked well as it has got DS in the habit of doing it each night without being overwhelming. And now they have recieved their laptops couldn't wait to get it out and get started!!

DS has come home from school every day so far looking happy and appears to have settled in very well, which has really surprised us as he is quiet and can be over sensitive so we expected a couple of hiccups but so far so good.
bananabrain

Post by bananabrain »

I have already posted about how happy my Y8 dd is at HSFG but wanted to say that, for us, the whole school ethos is outstanding. Girls are allowed to be who they want to be and there seems to be a lack of judgement or bitchiness which had crept into Y6. I feel as though the teachers really care about individual pupils.
My dd does a club each lunchtime and has no trouble wolfing down her lunch.
I think that the building issue is superfluous to the children's happiness or education. In college we crowded into our shabby, portakabin SU bar every evening. When said cabin was replaced with a swish new bar we rarely went there; it had lost it's character and we, our ownership of it.
I think what I'm trying to say is that, just like when you look round a house you are thinking of buying, the right school will feel "right." HSFG is definitely right for my dd.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

hi we are off to the SHS open evening this week (dd is year 5)

Anyone got any comments about SHS?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

"Girls are allowed to be who they want to be and there seems to be a lack of judgement or bitchiness which had crept into Y6"

This happened at my dd's old school and at parents evening we mentioned it. They remarked on how common it is each year and believed it is because the girls start to form alliances knowing that they will be moving on from each other and do it as a kind of sub conscious self-protect - fall out, won't miss. I've got nothing to compare it with, having only 1 dd, but I thought it was interesting.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

steppemum wrote:hi we are off to the SHS open evening this week (dd is year 5)

Anyone got any comments about SHS?

My Dd will be showing people round on Thursday, frankly we have only one bad thing to say about the school... We have nothing but good things to say about the school..
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Hi Stroudydad I was wondering if you were around to sing SHS praises! I am hoping that dd gets inspired and wants to go there, she is really excited. Having ds go to Marling has made her want to go to Stroud.

Ds however is seriously not happy about the idea that his sister will (hopefully) be joining him on the train!

She is a brass player, and I know SHS has a strong brass reputation.
CrossCountryMum

Post by CrossCountryMum »

RedVelvet wrote:
CrossCountryMum wrote:Is there a Warhammer club at Crypt?

I think there may be two!

DS will be pleased :)
Teach

Post by Teach »

Love SHS and have done since I took DD around when she was in Year 3! Daughter now is in Year 11 and I have nothing but praise and admiration for all of the staff who really know how to inspire girls to realise their potential. She is also showing people around on Thursday.