PAN at STRS increasing to 120 for Sept 2016 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

christje

PAN at STRS increasing to 120 for Sept 2016 entry

Post by christje »

We went to the open evening today at STRS and their info leaflet said there were 120 places at the school. I checked with Mr Morgan in case it was for 2015, but sadly not. This may be useful info for yr5 parents though.
Amber

Re: PAN at STRS increasing to 120 for Sept 2016 entry

Post by Amber »

A school can't change its official PAN without giving some notice, which may be why there is an official delay. However, I think there are more than 108 boys in just about every year in the school now - some have joined in Y9 this year I know for sure, and similar last year.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Arghhhhhhh, this is definitely starting to feel personal now. Not only did we have the brand spanking new exam where no-one knew what to expect and then have to wait 3 weeks longer than previous exams for the results, they are now increasing the number of boys they are taking beginning next year!!!!!!!!! Off to wallow in self-pity now. :D
Last edited by Stressed?Moi? on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Calm down SM :D .I think you will find that they exceed PAN anyway. The official increase will reflect current practice. I think there are 30 boys in most classes now. Maybe the extra places are filled by appellants and in-year applicants.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Only kidding Amber (am happy with Crypt too, so all good). Presumably the in-years and appeals would push the 120 up further. Out of interest then, could they be adding an extra class do you think?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Only kidding Amber (am happy with Crypt too, so all good). Presumably the in-years and appeals would push the 120 up further. Out of interest then, could they be adding an extra class do you think?
Almost definitely not. The previous head, I believe, acknowledged that a PAN of 108 was an anomaly and a bit silly, especially as appeals tended to bring up the classes to 28 or 29 anyway; and I get the impression that there has been a feeling for a while that 30 in a class would be fine. I am not privy to any special information, I just think it most unlikely that anyone would want to expand the place.