Marling and SHS to increase PAN to 150 from September 2016.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NancyB

Re: Marling and SHS to increase PAN to 150 from September 20

Post by NancyB »

The proposed Pate's policy has been up for public* consultation since a couple of weeks before Christmas at http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/extra ... ry-Schools along with the proposed policies for all other secondary schools in Gloucestershire.

The consultation period (at least 8 weeks) allows parents, other schools, the local community, etc to raise any concerns about proposed admission arrangements.

*Public, as in:
"But the plans were on display ..."
"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
"That's the display department."
"With a flashlight."
"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"
"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'
- Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
cazien

Post by cazien »

All GS's except The Crypt (staying at 112) have announced possibly increasing their PAN's for 2016.

HSFG 120 to 128.
Ribston 114 to 120.
SHS, Marling, Pates 120 to 150.
STR 108 to 120.

Increase in population or demand :?:
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

cazien wrote:Increase in population or demand :?:
... Or, as someone up-thread said, the immenent general election, possible change in government and last potential chance to expand GSs for 5 years??

JD
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

cazien wrote:All GS's except The Crypt (staying at 112) have announced possibly increasing their PAN's for 2016.

HSFG 120 to 128.
Ribston 114 to 120.
SHS, Marling, Pates 120 to 150.
STR 108 to 120.

Increase in population or demand :?:
I can understand increasing from 120 to 150 - that's from 4 classes of 30 to 5 classes of 30.
And I can understand increasing from a bit below 120 to actually 120 - that's saying we'll have 4 classes of 30 in the PAN, and if we get a few extra on appeal we'll squeeze them in somewhere even if a few classes go up to 31 or 32.

But HSFG to 128???? Once they've admitted a few on appeal they'll be way over the "4 classes of 30" point but still nowhere near the "5 classes of 30" point. Are they intending to have huge classes? Or smaller ones but be have less money per class to spend on staffing and resources??
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

DebsB wrote:But HSFG to 128???? Once they've admitted a few on appeal they'll be way over the "4 classes of 30" point but still nowhere near the "5 classes of 30" point. Are they intending to have huge classes? Or smaller ones but be have less money per class to spend on staffing and resources??
I suspect the school will put up a stronger case than in previous years, so it will be harder to win an appeal. To counter that, though, if there are more spaces, the girls who would have been a 'near miss - top of the waiting list' in previous years are far more likely to be offered a place.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

NancyB wrote:The proposed Pate's policy has been up for public* consultation since a couple of weeks before Christmas at http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/extra ... ry-Schools along with the proposed policies for all other secondary schools in Gloucestershire.

The consultation period (at least 8 weeks) allows parents, other schools, the local community, etc to raise any concerns about proposed admission arrangements.

*Public, as in:
"With a flashlight."
"So had the stairs."
"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'
So funny - thanks for that. I had forgotten that bit.

Ref number increases, it's a shame it won't apply this year for my ds starting in September. As has been pointed out though, appeals this year may be more successful due to it being harder to argue against them when there will be the increase just next year.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Didn't need a torch. Just opened an email...as I did for SHS.
MountainDweller

Post by MountainDweller »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:
NancyB wrote:The proposed Pate's policy has been up for public* consultation since a couple of weeks before Christmas at http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/extra ... ry-Schools along with the proposed policies for all other secondary schools in Gloucestershire.

*Public, as in:
"With a flashlight."
"So had the stairs."
So funny - thanks for that. I had forgotten that bit.

Ref number increases, it's a shame it won't apply this year for my ds starting in September. As has been pointed out though, appeals this year may be more successful due to it being harder to argue against them when there will be the increase just next year.
It is a real shame. DS isn't in the top 120.....but neither is he only just in the rankings...that extra 30 places would make me feel much more confident about getting the place! I'll be saying this until the end of his schooling...but why oh why did DS arrive a week early....if only he could've waited that 12 hours I'd be smug at the extra 30 places!
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

So with the increase in places - will the number of students who qualify increase as well? So, for example, will the top 210 qualify for Pates, or will it still be 180 qualify for 150 places?
Flash

Post by Flash »

CKMum wrote:So with the increase in places - will the number of students who qualify increase as well? So, for example, will the top 210 qualify for Pates, or will it still be 180 qualify for 150 places?
Yes I would have thought the qualifying number will increase by the same amount.

It's great news :D :D :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now