Heading for STRS / Tommies - questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kismet

Re: Heading for STRS / Tommies - questions

Post by Kismet »

Good question Weaver. I have bought DS a navy jumper and a black one to choose from. He chose navy. I bought him black trousers and he insisted I change them for grey. I thought he'd want A change from primary but he seems happy enough. I'm hoping all the other yr 7s don't turn up in black. I need to look at that pack more closely. I didn't notice anything about teeth guards. I did get from the yr 7s on Saturday that I should get some sturdy rugby boots and some trainers for day 1 in Sept. Is that right experts?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

There was a leaflet in our pack about mouthguards. They cost about £50 as I recall and only last a year :shock: . Will have to have a think about that one.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DS wear black trousers from M&S, his black v-neck came from ASDA and the mouth guard we only got a cheaper variety as it wasn't going to last and DS wasn't likely to be on any of the rugby teams. Only consider if you know he might be on a team, we say he is in the special pe group who don't play rugby all winter and try a variety of sports instead and it's not because he isn't sporty by they don't really do dance!

My advice is go for minimum and you can always pop out to the high street and get the rest later as he might not want a jumper. Also please remember they grow very quickly and by Y8 the year is a real mix of tall boys who have sprouted (DS) and short boys who are still waiting to sprout. We have just had to replace DS blazer for one with an extra inch of length after 2 years, so I wouldn't worry too much about the length as lots will be in the same position. Just got DDs blazer for HSFG and it is long in the arms and she looks a bit drowned but I know she will grow.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Would just like to make the observation that all the different brands of blazer we have had have had sleeves of a length disproportionate to the chest size. I just turn the sleeves up by an inch or so and try to remember not to press the ends, to minimise the 'tide mark' when they are let back down again.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Sound advice medievalbabe and toadmum. We are just going to go plain white shirt and tie rather than logo'd shirt. With the ruthless way he treats shirts, the cheaper and more plentiful of anything, the better! I've taken up his sleeves but as small as I made the stitches, you can still see them on the "right side" and I don't think it looks brilliant. I can't decide whether to do it again but stitching the fold-back just into the lining instead of the whole way through. Decisions, decisions.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Hope you're boys had a great day. We have a happy house this afternoon. BTW my yr9 refuses to wear the logo shirt, plain white ones here.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

He sure did! He really likes his class and states that he is "going to be very happy there". The school are bending over backwards to make the boys welcome, which is lovely.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

That's great. Loved the photo they came home with too.

They've got some good times ahead.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Yes, another very happy DS here, he had a great day and came home exhausted, but now feeling much more confident about starting in September. I thought the class photo was a genius idea.

Thanks for all the input about uniform; that helps, too.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Yep, DS and I are full of happy at the mo! What a great mix of lessons yesterday. DS came home feeling grown up without being overwhelmed. As someone has already said we love the class photo. It gives them an identity from day 1 and helps with names. Fab! I love the fact the school has parental involvement without intruding on the children's independence. Some of my friends are going to feel a bit bereft going to schools where the parents are out on a limb, after being immersed in PTA activities.

Couldn't be more pleased.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now