Late Test and Waiting List movement?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lizzie

Late Test and Waiting List movement?

Post by Lizzie »

Does anyone know what the chances are of a child getting into one of the GS if they take the test late? We are returning to the UK after living abroad and had thought we would be moving to a different area but it is unexpectedly looking like we might end up in Glos. although we don't know for sure yet (may not be able to afford the house prices!)

Since we have missed the September test date it looks like the only option we would have for Glos is for our child to sit the late test at the end of March and if they pass go on the waiting list. As I understand, if her test mark is high enough to put her on the top of the waiting list, we would then just have to hope that not everyone takes up an offered place. Is that correct?

What I'm wondering is do any of you know if many late test takers get offers or is it really a very slim chance? I suppose put another way do many children make it off the waiting list to a GS or is there not much movement once offers have gone out?

Thank you so much for any info anyone has.
Tolstoy

Re: Late Test and Waiting List movement?

Post by Tolstoy »

There is always movement after the March 1st allocations. Also if you are looking for affordable housing look in the Forest of Dean area and if you find something close to Mitcheldean you will have a long standing Outstanding Comprehensive as a back-up.
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Tolstoy,

Thank you so much for your reply. House prices are definitely an issue for us as we have been off the UK property ladder for 20 years. I will take a good look on rightmove at that area, it was coming up in my searches and I was going to ask if Dene Magna has a good reputation, sounds like it does.

Great minds think alike regarding having a really good Comp as back up in case she does not get into one of the GS. I don't know if it's blasphemy to say this on here but in many ways I am drawn to Comprehensives but it's just that Glos seems to have some really outstanding GS.

To be honest I'm feeling a bit bewildered by it all, the test itself, the choice of schools, application deadlines, etc. so thank you for your help :)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Many posters on this site would love a good Comprehensive option/system. Ironically it is often easier to get a place at a Grammar school than a good Comprehensive. I should imagine Dene Magna will be over-subscribed, usually is, but as it is fairly close to the Grammars there may be movement. Perhaps look at rental options close to the school and get a feel for the area and surrounding villages before you buy.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Lizzie wrote:Tolstoy,

Thank you so much for your reply. House prices are definitely an issue for us as we have been off the UK property ladder for 20 years. I will take a good look on rightmove at that area, it was coming up in my searches and I was going to ask if Dene Magna has a good reputation, sounds like it does.

Great minds think alike regarding having a really good Comp as back up in case she does not get into one of the GS. I don't know if it's blasphemy to say this on here but in many ways I am drawn to Comprehensives but it's just that Glos seems to have some really outstanding GS.

To be honest I'm feeling a bit bewildered by it all, the test itself, the choice of schools, application deadlines, etc. so thank you for your help :)
Also look at "onthemarket" (can't remember if it is .com or .co.uk) This is a newer property site that certainly most of the estate agents in our area are jumping to, as a priority site (i.e., properties are going on there before right move even gets a sniff).
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

OT alert but I dislike 'on the market' so intensely I can't help myself. They are big boy estate agents elbowing the smaller independents out of the competition. If you check out Rightmove which still has a hold in The Forest and also Zoopla you will find pretty much all that is available.
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Thanks guys! I will check out the other two property websites just in case they have anything not listed on Rightmove.

I think renting first is probably the most sensible option. It sounds like even if we are in the catchment area of a good comp we can't be sure she would be offered a place there.

I'm going to call the LA and ask them whether, since we are going to be a late test anyway, does it makes any difference if we also send our application to them late too? I don't think it would matter from the point of view of the GS but if the Comps are commonly oversubscribed then I assume we would be even less likely to get a place if we miss that Oct 31st deadline but I don't think we are going to have a UK address by then.

Head spinning stuff but hopefully will get it all figured out in the end and then just need the luck of the Education Gods! ;)

Thanks for the help :)
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

There are good comps all over glos. Cirencester has 2 very good ones - Deerpark and Kingshill, and there is an excellent one in Fairford - Farmors School which takes kids from all over the area.

In north glos there is the Cotswold (not sure of the name - Costwold Academy? Cotswold School??)

Although kids come from all over to the grammars (and they are good, obviously) In areas away from the GS, most kids go to the comp, so there is a full range of ability at the comp. This is very different from regions of the country where it is a complete grammar system, so much more of a GS or second best.
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Steppemum,

Thank you, I hadn't even looked over that way so I will def check it out.

Much appreciated!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

... it is a beautiful area but a little pricey.